Workout/Bodybuilding III: Revengeance: Part Deux

Oh okay well I guess volume isn't really your problem haha.. Good to hear that you're currently making pretty good progress on bench tho; I just know that it hasn't progressed as well as squat and DL for you so I thought I'd ask.
Got really drunk and went to the gym and they wouldn't let me in. Guy called a cab for me cuz he wouldn't let me drive home what a fucking dick

think i messed up my hip flexors. my stance might have been too wide when i was squatting.

edit: nope it was deadlifting in a wide stance with excessive weight too early that did it. but at least my hips are feeling marginally better and i can move that weight with relative ease now.

Got really drunk and went to the gym and they wouldn't let me in.

first loling

but then

Guy called a cab for me cuz he wouldn't let me drive home what a fucking dick

yo T u srs?

Another all time bench PR, 195 for a paused triple. Also squatted 330 for 3 pretty easily. A month out from my meet. Feeling pretty good.

Able to out squat spanner for the first time ever. 

20lbs more BW on my side

Finally got a snatch PR, 6 months since I've done that. 4 months since I've gotten even close to this weight, and the first time since moving down to Cali. Straps definitely helped since I usually don't use them but my hands were shot and I noticed my form holds up way better on heavy pulls since I don't have to focus on grip. 

I was in LA for a work training event Wed-Fri and pretty much just ate like shit and drank a ton (gained 8lbs for reference, even if it was mostly water bloat). So the fact that I hit this after 3 days off the gym is fucking awesome. Hopefully next week I'll hit some bigger numbers with proper recovery and diet.

https://www.instagram.com/p/-FXn8FB6O9/

are belts, straps, and wraps necessary when you start getting into higher numbers

are belts, straps, and wraps necessary when you start getting into higher numbers

Shoes and a belt are probably the most important. I think wraps (both knee and wrist) are nice to have, although I went without wrist wraps for the past ~4 months and didn't have any problems. I will use straps on deadlifts occasionally when I have a big pull day and I'm concerned my grip strength will give out by the end, but I'm trying to not rely on them much anymore.

Also side note: Kampy and I are going to do a powerlifting meet here in Milwaukee in January. I'm pretty hyped.

Straps are only necessary for shrugs. 

Tbh after my meet I'm not going to be deadlifting 4x a week and don't plan on using straps for the foreseeable future. My buddy is building a basement gym and some strong man and grip stuff. Going to be fun. 

355x3 @RPE9.5 squat today.  355 is my all time 1RM @ 15lbs heavier body weight. so that's cool. 

Benched 265x3x3, really wanted 275 but glad I didn't try it. 

After my meet I'm going for a body weight OHP, growing some hamstrings. and widening my grip on bench and doing arms and grip everyday. Want 400/300/500 for my next meet in may.

Necessary? No. Helpful? Sure. It is going to depend on the individual though due to goals, the actual training type (bodybuilding, powerlifting, olympic lifting, general fitness), past injuries and current strength levels.

Belts: helpful for heavier squats/deads/CJ, perhaps bench if you're very serious about powerlifting and lifting some heavy weights. If you're only lifting around your bodyweight or so for squat/dead, don't wear a belt until you've learned to correctly brace your trunk and core without one. 

Straps: If you're doing general fitness, straps should pretty much never be used. Powerlifting for heavy rack pulls or shrugs. Bodybuilding they can be used for any kind of row/pull if the focus is on back/bi's/etc instead of the grip, but they shouldn't be used one very single pull. Olympic lifting, snatches and heavy pulls as needed, but mostly only to save your hands since hook grip and so many pulls tends to fuck them up from repeated use. Not even fully necessary for that though. Colin Burns has never used straps in training and he's elite level (94kg weightlifter, 2014 US national champ and snatch record holder) 

Wraps/sleeves: For knees, if they're thin ones (like in my vid), they pretty much only provide warmth, and no real support, so its a personal preference. Thicker ones (rehbands) should really only be for heavy squats or with a pretty serious past knee injury. They shouldn't be abused either, similar to straps/belt, and really aren't fully necessary. Plenty of top lifters get by without wearing any. Knee wraps should be only if you're serious in competing in PL/weightlifting and are lifting some serious weight on the sets you use them. Wrist wraps are preference, but I personally feel they should only be used with a history of wrist injury on bench/snatch/CJ, and still limited in use as it can lead someone to avoid the issue of needing to strengthen their wrists to avoid the pain. If you're a beginner or casual lifter just avoid them, they won't give you much benefit.

Again, this mostly comes down to what your training goals are. I would say lifting shoes are the biggest asset if you're doing any barbell work at all, followed by a belt once you get in the 1.5x BW and more range. Straps, sleeves and wraps I would avoid unless you're going to compete and get more serious about powerlifting or olympic lifting.

thanks ever1

i'm benching bw and squatting and deadlifting in the 1.5x range rn, got there tonight after taking a few days off, but my form might not have been the best. i'll try to take a video sometime.

Was supposed to go for 275x3 paused bench today. Hit 265x3  a week ago, and 265x3x3 this past Saturday. Only got 265x2.5. First failed rep in such a long time. 

Squatted 365x2 which is over 2x body weight, so that's cool. fell forward on the second rep and accidentally paused it. First rep was good but sloppy. a few days under 4 weeks out. 

Had a break through on my sumo form last week. I pretty much set up how I do conventional, except in sumo form. Puts me in a much better position. 365 flew off the ground, pushed it with 405 though.

Paused 210 for an all time PR bench really easy, had more but eh.

Squatted 385 at 164lbs for a 20lb PR in the 165 weight class. Depth is iffy in my opinion, but idk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9ZPxhM9KdQ

I'm curious. Why do you pull yourself really far under the bar at the start of the setup, only then to loosen your back immediately after as you narrow your grip?
It's my ritual for heavy squats. Also what the video doesn't show is I grab the bar with my left hand first, then throw my right arm up. I do it every time I squat.
keep getting nagged for taking my shoes off on my squats. didn't realize i had signed up to pay monthly for use of a fugn hotel fitness center.

squatted 375x2 EZ today. @9rpe which is fuckin huge. Didn't jump to 385 cause I wanted to save some energy for bench. 405 could happen at this meet. 

225x3, 245x3, 255x3, 265x3 and thank god 275x3 paused. I lift with the people who will be judging my meet and they were happy with my pauses and ass not coming up. Ties an all time PR. I want 300 so bad. 

Do you guys have any advice on how I can lose weight on my upper legs but not lose it anywhere else?

I'm at a point right now that my bust and waist are small, but my legs are still thick and it's a nightmare to buy clothing. I would fit a size 2 but I can't get anything near that over my legs/hips. I'm starting to play soccer again in January but from my experience, that just builds muscle on my legs that I don't really want. I'd rather have slim, toned legs and be able to fit into petite clothing than have this problem forever. halp halp

You can't loose weight in certain spots. You just hold more weight in that area because genetics. Just eat fewer calories and loose weight and weight will come off your legs. Some people hold fat on their love handles, legs, stomach, it's different from person to person. 

Also playing soccer isn't going to build leg muscle, that's not how it works. That long lean tone look is low body fat and muscle. 

tl;dr just eat less, and loose weight it'll work out in the end

I hold like all my body fat in my ass and legs, as a guy it sucks buying pants. What I've found isn't to stop squatting and building muscle it's to just hold less fat on my frame. I can see abs in the morning but still have loads of fat on my ass. Genetics.I have to be leaner than I'd like to be able to wear the clothes I wanna wear, it's a trade off. I could be a fit heavier and more comfortable but bye bye nice pants I love. Or I could be leaner and put extra effort into staying leaner and fit into the pants I like. 

Going for a 405 squat the Monday after thanksgiving. I never thought I'd see the day. 

squatted 385x2. Ez Pz. Not easy, but solid. Reps are only getting better. Benched 275x2 stupid fast. Ridiculously easy. Had at least two more in the tank. 285 I got psyched out and totally mis grooved tried it again and had nothing. massive disappointment, it's there though. Deadlifted 405x1, 425x1, 435x1, 445x1, 455x4x1. Pulls were getting ugly but had more in the tank. It's all coming together. Time to eat up. 

After nearly a year of having a fucked up back, I have found out a solution. I read a book by Stuart McGill a,d to some it up, walking, posture, and only a few core exercises have made me pretty much pain free. I literally felt a difference after only two days of doing his shit. Looking forward to 2016 in terms of progress.

Also two weeks out from my meet.

what book exactly? I need to (want to) do a lot more core work in this next cycle. 

Comp is next Saturday. Pulled a kinda fast not so slow 465 single for last deadlift yesterday. I have one last heavy squat this Saturday and going for 405. Squatted 385x2 a week and a half ago and 395x1 for a flawless rep Monday. Also hit 275x2x1, 285x2x1, 275x2x1 benches with commands on monday. 

Would be be so happy for 405,275,485. Minimum want 1,125. 1,150 would be dope anything above is bonus. 

Next meet is in March and is USAPL. 1200 might be a stretch but I want to be at 181 so we'll see

i know calorie reqs aren't as high on off-days, but what about protein

and is it true that for every 1 lb of bodyweight you should aim to get 1.5 g of protein?  and if so, what if i get most of that all at once?

Get at least 1g and you'll be fine. If you can get more, sweet. If you can't, don't stress over it. More can help but it isn't required. Keep protein the same on off days. Just lower your overall cals and cut the carbs down a bit on off days.

what book exactly? I need to (want to) do a lot more core work in this next cycle. 

Comp is next Saturday. Pulled a kinda fast not so slow 465 single for last deadlift yesterday. I have one last heavy squat this Saturday and going for 405. Squatted 385x2 a week and a half ago and 395x1 for a flawless rep Monday. Also hit 275x2x1, 285x2x1, 275x2x1 benches with commands on monday. 

Would be be so happy for 405,275,485. Minimum want 1,125. 1,150 would be dope anything above is bonus. 

Next meet is in March and is USAPL. 1200 might be a stretch but I want to be at 181 so we'll see

Back Mechanic. Pretty cool stuff. Fun stuff.

Edit - Will check that out. (Back Mechanic)

https://instagram.com/p/-9QB6rl0Ny/

it's a shame I probably won't hit four wheels at my meet. 10lbs in collars + 55lb par. who knows though 

anyone here tried the one punch man workout regimen?
If you wanna get better at push-ups and sit ups go right ahead but there are way better ways to spend your time if you want to see actual results

385 squat Good lift. 405 squat, was grinding it out and back spotter pull me up. Wasn't even stalled, was super pissed. took 405 again, got it even easier. got a 4th attempt cause of the fuck up, 415, no lift. Tired from having to take 405 twice. 10lb PR. 

bench was was feeling so dope. 265 opener was too easy. 280 second attempt was too easy. Missed 295 third, flared too early mis grooved, was literally so fucking close. oh well. 285 is an all time PR. was a little aggressive jumping to 295 literally just bench form is hit or miss for me. 

Deadlifts. was using a deadlift bar for the meet but warming up with a stiff bar. Pulled 405x1 as a last warmup. First attempt was 455, easy. 2nd was 480, ok. 500 for my third, even easier than my second, 30lb PR. probably had another 20lbs in me. 

Next meet at the end of March. USAPL, I'll but up a better write up with mad videos later. 1185 @187 354ish wilks. V happy. 

Meet didn't go as planned. Wanted 385/214/400something and ended up with 258/203/374. Opened squat with 330 and got it, went to 358 and I failed that on my second for leaning too far forward so I retook it and got it. Bench opened with 192, then took 203 which was kinda a grind so I took 209 and missed it. I was feeling super on confident coming into deadlifts but warming up everything felt so easy. Opened with 358 and it was super easy, went to 374 and it was even easier. Took 385 just to be safe and I locked it out but there was some bar dipping so I got red lighted. Even that attempt felt easy but my form wasn't good enough.

Guys, know that I say this from a point of love:

You're not good enough to be disappointed.