Workout/Bodybuilding III: Revengeance: Part Deux

Started lifting again. Weight has dropped by 10lbs and strength has dropped a bit, maybe 25-35%. Hope to be back up within the month. Working out is never the problem for me. Trying to shovel down 3500 calories is the hard part. Eating is such a chore when I'm hungry skeleton mode. I need an actual routine. I would just do ABxABxx but during those days I kinda just did whatever. Never stuck to a specific program. Should probably just do SS since my upper body is much bigger than my legs. 

And what's a good calf workout? Some days I would do simple calf raises and I would barely be able to walk to the next day. Hurt way worse than regular DOMS. Not sure if I was fucking up the calf raises, that seems hard to do.

What's your height and weight? I highly doubt you need 3500 to actually gain, you're probably not tracking correctly. I'm around 185-190 on average and I maintain on about 2200 calories, lifting 4-5 times a week for 2-3 hours.

Regarding calves, if you do SS, the squatting on its own will build your calves. Stabilizing while standing/squatting, as well as walking the weight out of the rack will build your calves.

I can maintain on 1500 calories. I have it at 3000 now to gain, counting calories and proteins. I'm 5'10 120lb. I know 120 seems really low but considering I started at 95lbs I think it's decent. After those noob gains showed I can definitely see I have potential. Good muscle insertions and straight non zipper abs. Do you think 3000 is too much? Trying to gain 1-2lbs a week on top of workouts 3-4 times a week. When I was hitting the weights before I was pretty dumb about it and never kept a track on my calories. Want to change that this time around. I have a home gym but not a lot of weights. Like 200lbs worth of iron (non of my lifts are over 200), and adjustable bench, 2 non oly bars, ez curl bar and a few dumbells. And a high end bowflex which I used only for like pulldowns and cable flys. I have to squat off the back of my bench but it works. 
A regular bulk is 3-400 calories surplus, with 5-600 surplus being more aggressive. Past that and you're probably gonna end up fat. However, given how extreme your case is and that you'll have a ton of noob gains most likely due to lack of training, you could probably get away with 6-800 and not end up too badly. Doubling your maintenance is just insane though. I'd say 1800-2000 on an off day, 2200-2500 on a lifting day at most would still be pretty aggressive. Try it out and see how it goes and adjust accordingly. Either way, you're gonna gain weight fast, but you don't need 3000 at this point.
Okay thanks, I didn't know that i needed lower intake on an off day.

Went looking for jeans today. That was hilarious. Girl at Nordstrom's didn't quite get the concept when I kept reassuring her that slim fits will NOT fit. I went through close to 15 pairs before she finally realized it wasn't going to happen. Went to a different story to try all of the Levi's cuts. The only one that fit were the loose straight 569, and just barely. Luckily for me they're on sale since nobody ever buys the 569, so I got them for $20 instead of $68. I'm kinda scared, because my legs actually aren't at their usual size right now as I've been focusing on the competition lifts. So it will be interesting when I start bulking again in late June.

@sky: The surplus you need to gain weight is based off what you burn for the day. So if you don't lift, you burn less, and need less calories to be at a surplus for the day. So eating double your maintenance on an off day will do nothing but get you fat.

Levi 541 Athletic fit are great. Might not be enough for you Willey but for most with big but not HUGE legs they are dope. 

also tracking my calories more strict this summer cause I get fat when I don't do that and live at home.  myfitnesspal has me aiming for 3,000 calories and I'm trying to bulk up ~5lbs from 178 -180 to mid 180s by the end of summer. haven't hit my goal once and I've felt full as shit and not hungry at all. is 3,000 over reaching? my plan was to just eat and use 3,000 as a reference and weigh myself daily and see what happens and adjust as I go. 

Is 4lb gained in a week a lot? I've been eating so much and tracking my calories strictly.
probably water weight. because 4lbs of not water weight a week is way too much
I didn't even think about that. Woke up and weighed myself again and I was a pound down so it was +3 instead of +4.

Fat ass scrublord here. I'm like 15 pounds overweight now and I want to go back to being skinny and also finally fulfill muh dreams and gain some muscle mass. I eat pretty healthy (no more milkshakes lol). I signed up for a gym and i'll start doing some running.

Help please?

I didn't even think about that. Woke up and weighed myself again and I was a pound down so it was +3 instead of +4.

Fun fact a gallon of water weighs 8lbs. 

I weigh ugh myself naked every morning after going to the bathroom. I walk around about 3-4lbs heavier than that all day. 

Starting to do Crossfit WOD's three times a week now. I'm not sure if I'll stay with it but I wanted to try it in order to help me improve at the olympic lifts as well as push through some of the plateaus I've hit over the past 6 months. Still doing bodybuilding type training on the other days.

I did some light beltless squats for sets of 8 and snatch grip deadlifts for a set of 8 yesterday. Was supposed to deadlift heavy tomorrow but went in today instead. Felt awesome. 340x6+ and got 8 @8.5 RPE. I filmed myself and the weight moved stupid fast but my back wasn't that tight and really wasn't overly pleased with my form. 

345 is my all time 8RM and i nearly died pulling that, so I very happy with this 340x8@8.5 the day after squats and deads 

Did some cleans the other day, filmed a set:

Still really need to learn more about them, not entirely certain what classifies a clean as being "good" vs. "bad".  I know bar pathing is a big point, and landing on heels too I believe.  Anybody wanna help out?  Willey?

Slow down. You won't learn the lifts going quickly. Watch the cal strength vids they have for teaching the clean. Start from a high hang near be hip and only use your legs and hips to extend the weight. Then work down to the knee and then floor. Right now you're using momentum off the floor to get the bar up, not extension. You'll hit a wall quickly like that. Go follow Ma Strength on insta and look at the video of Li Fabin near the top. Look at how slow he is off the floor before extending. The lift relies on setting yourself up well to extend hard in the right direction. 

Based straight on wha I can see there though. Start with the bar further away, and your shoulders more forward (back angle will be closer to parallel). Push off the floor with legs, keeping the back angle the same. Once you extend your legs all the way you can shift back and straighten up for the extension 

this is darkstar checking in, haven't posted in a long ass time cuz I've been busy as fuck. Had to make a new account cuz I couldn't log in to my old one. Anyways.. Training has been going good for me, still doing TM and have pretty good results. I'm set up to hit 405 for a single in a few weeks..

heres a a vid of my third set at 340 on volume day a few weeks ago.

But what have you guys been up to??

it's myzo

squats are stupid. I'm good at bench but weak. and I'm bad at deadlifting but ok at it. 

10lbs down in BW and am approaching all time PRs. 

Benched on Wednesday and did 185 for 3 single with pretty long pauses. So my bench strength has stayed kinda the same. Squat get a little better every week, but  still shitty. Deadlift lol who knows? Haven't tried in like 2 months.
Good to see all you halo men killin it in the gym and crossfit. Injuries, work, girlfriend, league of legends killed my gains about 2 years ago. (Mentally lost the mindset) But I'm back at it, fitness  has always been a big part of my life and every day it was laying in the back of my head that i needed to start again. Went from 180 to 150 during that time. Been lifting for a month now and i must say my muscle memory is kicking in strong, up 10 lbs in a month. went from 155 to 165

before my debacle. was sitting around 170 here, wasn't my best conditioning or size but its a solid pic. 
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/251095_364530...

Benched on Wednesday and did 185 for 3 single with pretty long pauses. So my bench strength has stayed kinda the same. Squat get a little better every week, but  still shitty. Deadlift lol who knows? Haven't tried in like 2 months.

whats good with that? 

Program I have been following all semester and will be following all summer. enjoying the fuck out of it. This is this week and next week. 

whats good with that? 

What do you mean?

you bench has stayed the same, during what? and why no deadlifts? 
Since I started working at Costco. My squat has gone down by like 100lbs and bench is the same. Haven't trained deadlifts since Janurary because they hurt my back too much. Haven't seen a doctor because I keep putting it off. But it feels fine, and has for about 2 months. So maybe I just needed some time off.

>working at costco

>not using employee discount for infinite gains 

Threw up at crossfit yesterday. Achievement unlocked.

>working at costco

>not using employee discount for infinite gains 

yfw we don't get discounts

>2015

> not accumulating mass by osmosis 

not even free membership? 

Free membership after 3 months yeah

When deadlifting, if I stand up between each rep and take my air from the top and reset I can basically double my reps as compared to if I keep my hands on the bar throughout the set. 

365x10 DL PR. that's like a 50lb PR. Ran 8/6/3 variation of 5/3/1 from black iron beast. the 365 was after 295x8 and 335x6 on my third week. Moving into 5/3/1 from here. I'm going to pull 500 before 2016 or I'll stop lifting. 

also did a crossfit workout with my with my dad this morning was a blast. hand stand push-ups EMOM then 8 pistol squats, 10 toes to bar, 12 wall balls for as many rounds as possible in 10minures. I think this helped for my deadlifts really got me warmed up well. 

what do you guys eat on a typical day? I tracked my macros with MFP for a while but that got annoying, I am not gaining any weight ( goal) and have been eating pretty healthy but aside from what I am currently eating I can't think of what else I could eat. 

Basically I eat oatmeal and some meat on mornings I lift, 4 eggs and meat on mornings I don't, two eggo waffles for carbs before I lift. I eat half pound of meat plus rice after I lift, on days off I eat slightly less meat and veggies and then a normal dinner of what ever my mom wants me to cook for dinner, which is typically lower carbs. (I cook for my family atm). 

what at else would be good for preworkout snack breakfast or lunch? 

Was doing jerks yesterday and they felt good so I said fuck it and went for 315. I actually over drove it and so it crashed on me and pushed me down. Given how easy the drive was, I could probably do another 20-30lbs. https://instagram.com/p/3XXqO5h6K5/

@myzo: if I'm lifting later in the day I usually  eat 4 eggs mixed with some bacon/sausage/ham or veggies, some cheese and sour cream. On Sunday I lift earlier and usually eat oatmeal mixed with pb. I'm still not a huge fan of eating before lifting, but when I lift at 4, IF is impossible to do my old scheme of eating only after lifting  . dinner is usually meat with potatoes or rice and veggies, and then I snack on milk, Greek yogurts, protein bars, pb and other shit I find in the fridge. I was 86kg today so I'm not worried about tracking much for my comp in a few weeks. After that though I'm gonna start doing Sunday meal preps since I should be moved out by then and once work starts I won't have time to cook individual meals, so I'm gonna go all out on prepping and have a massive spreadsheet already made up for macros recipes etc  similar foods though

what do you guys eat on a typical day? I tracked my macros with MFP for a while but that got annoying, I am not gaining any weight ( goal) and have been eating pretty healthy but aside from what I am currently eating I can't think of what else I could eat. 

Basically I eat oatmeal and some meat on mornings I lift, 4 eggs and meat on mornings I don't, two eggo waffles for carbs before I lift. I eat half pound of meat plus rice after I lift, on days off I eat slightly less meat and veggies and then a normal dinner of what ever my mom wants me to cook for dinner, which is typically lower carbs. (I cook for my family atm). 

what at else would be good for preworkout snack breakfast or lunch? 

I should start using a spread sheet that sounds like a good idea. I need to invest in some protein bars and drink more milk. I try to stay away from milk and yogurt and peanut butter because I can accidentally so goddam much of it. 

Once I start working next week I probably will switch to an IF type diet. No breakfast, work all day, light lunch of lower carbs, carb up before lifting then demolish dinner. Once I start working meal prepping all my lunches will be a necessity. I am going to be living at home for at least the summer and probably a good time longer than that so dinners will always be hard to track but healthy and low carb + high protein. Im so thankful my parents eat very healthy and dont keep any junk / snack food / minimal carbs lying around. 

Really liking the low carb except for right before lifting and right after. Definitely leaning out and maintaining weight (ish) and getting much stronger. 

also interesting observation, now that im at home and not drinking more than a beer or two with dinner on the weekends, and eating healthy, there have been noticable improvements in the bedroom. like very noticable and positive. Goes to show how big of an impact a good diet and not drinking can do. 

what do you guys do to deal with torn calluses? I ripped two on the middle part of my middle and pinky finger. Deficit Deadlifted 225,275,315,365,315x3  and tore it on rep two of the second set of 315. I have a golf and tennis tournament this weekend plus lifting. I tore them during the strength part of my crossfit work out and just bandaid + athletic taped them to finish the workout. 

what do you guys do to deal with torn calluses? I ripped two on the middle part of my middle and pinky finger. Deficit Deadlifted 225,275,315,365,315x3  and tore it on rep two of the second set of 315. I have a golf and tennis tournament this weekend plus lifting. I tore them during the strength part of my crossfit work out and just bandaid + athletic taped them to finish the workout. 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/35-rips/#entry135

Check out the reply by Coach Sommer.