Halo fanbase is too flakey

I'm pretty sure we are the ones to blame for Halo "dying". We bought sequels when we shouldn't and never bothered to play the old games when we should've. Apparently 8 million people quit playing halo since 3. Well what the fuck happened? why did you just stop playing if you didn't like the sequels? why not just play the ones you liked? where did everyone go? i popped on bo2 and that game has a higher population than halo 5...it hurt.
I stopped playing 3 as much because the competitive scene moved on to Reach and I liked MLG. Plus, I actually found no-bloom Reach fun unlike a lot of other people lol.
Because halo 3 is on 360, CE and H2 can't even be played on xbox live. Reach, H4 and H5 are all pretty much shit and MCC might of been the worst functioning game of all time. All the halos are so different that it spread the community thin. Bungie got fucked over, and everyone hates 343i.

Because halo 3 is on 360, CE and H2 can't even be played on xbox live. Reach, H4 and H5 are all pretty much shit and MCC might of been the worst functioning game of all time. All the halos are so different that it spread the community thin. Bungie got fucked over, and everyone hates 343i.

H5 is pretty sick imo. Maybe not for the montage community but the actual gameplay is very good.

H5 is a good game but a shit Halo title.
H5 isn't a Halo game, IDK what it is. It's a good game but not a Halo game where i can play for hours.  
Solid fucking thread mate.

H5 isn't a Halo game, IDK what it is. It's a good game but not a Halo game where i can play for hours.  

Yeah I'd agree with that. I don't have any fun with it when I just want to chill and do whatever. There isn't a playlist I can just go play like in past halos (social slayer, team snipers, etc). But I do really enjoy the tryhard aspect of it. 

The fanbase? Its 343s fault for not making a decent halo game, fuck them

the community is not to blame. if they made better games people would play them. theres like 7  Halo games and most fans would agree that after the third they significantly dropped off in quality. 

People wanna play new games. After a while the old ones get boring and its exciting when something new comes out. Unfortunately 343 took Halo in a direction that most fans didn't like, and i don't think 343 is losing any sleep over this because they're probably meeting their sales quota.  I mean hell, attempting to revive the old games through the MCC is pretty much 343 admitting that the old games were better than the new ones.

-someone who doesn't even own an Xbox One, so take what i say with a grain of salt

i know but why doesn't everyone just play 3 since it was the last good one. clearly nobody likes h5. where the fuck did the 8 million people go that aren't playing any halo related title right now?
i know but why doesn't everyone just play 3 since it was the last good one. clearly nobody likes h5. where the fuck did the 8 million people go that aren't playing any halo related title right now?
Believe it or not, but there are a large number of Halo fans who dont even like H3.
To give serious thought to OP, yes many people dont like the newer Halo games. But there are also a whole bunch of Halo fans who hate the older games. The Halo community seems dead partially because it is so divided. There are players who are only playing H1, or H2, or H3, or HR, or H4, or H2A, or H5. It's rare to see people play more than one or two Halo games exculsively. On top of those 7 titles, you have sub-communities playing different versions of a Halo game. For example, in H:CE you have people playing it on MCC, people only LANing it, people playing it on PC, etc. For Halo 3, you can play it on MCC for the Xbox One, or on the 360, or Halo Online for the PC. Same goes for H2. You can play it on MCC, there are people still LANing it, people still playing it via XBC, there is even a thriving Vista community as well. Now with so many subtly different (but still considered vastly different) Halo games you have different type of community members. You have guys on this site who are into making montage and highlight videos, you have people on Beyond who are into competive and esport stuff. You have people on Waypoint forums making content like machinima and trick videos. You have people on RvB playing Grifball. You also have editors, twitch streamers, youtubers, forgers, pro players, etc. But truthfully most people play Halo for the story and single player aspects. Those are our casual fans who got everything they wanted because they pay the most money to 343 and microsoft. This isnt even taking into account all of the people who simply stopped playing Halo or being apart of the online community for one reason or another. That number most likely trumps the total number of people I referenced above. I feel like in order for Halo to not only "be back" but exceed what it had from about 2004-2010 would be to somehow unite many of those communities as well as bring back many of those people that left Halo. But I dont think 343 can make that happen.
Grew up. But like I said, H3 is on 360. The xbox one cut the population down tremendously. Tons of people got XB1 and got rid of their 360s thinking MCC wasn't going to be a shit show. The community is disjointed from that game.
Just a reminder. Halo could have been reverted to it's former glory if MCC wasn't the biggest failure in gaming history. That is all.

Lots of people like Halo 5. The competitive community loves it as well. The issue is that the damage was done with Reach/H4/MCC all being meh. And then Halo 5 comes out and its even less of a Halo game than Reach/H4, while still being good.  Halo 5 is what Reach could/should have been if they really wanted to add sprint and all that. I would have preferred to not have that stuff added and just kept a classic feel but whatever.

I personally did not like H5 at all when it came out. Me and my friend went and bought BO3 and played that til January. It wasn't until I saw some old Halo peeps I follow on twitter going crazy about Lethul leaving Evil Geniuses that I actually got involved with the competitive commnunity / team beyond again. And from there I started watching XGames and such and now I'm back to gaming Team Arena like it's prime H3.

Believe it or not, but there are a large number of Halo fans who dont even like H3.

I very highly doubt that considering Halo 3 had the highest Population for the longest duration. Personally not my favourite one though. I feel like h5 kids are the minority considering it's just as dead as h4 was at this point and time.

They need to bring h3 to pc exactly the way it was on 360 with the same matchmaking with extra stuff like armor and maybe weapon skins. i honestly thinnk it could revive halo.  it needs to get back to being more popular than what cs go is now. seriously if they just kept making multiplayer games after 3 on pc i think it could've survived. it really makes me jealous that cs go is almost the same game 15 years later with the same maps and its literally one of the most popular fps' out right now. Can you imagine having a halo game with all the greatest maps like lockout/midship/guardian/warlock/sanc in one game and on one engine?

Lots of people like Halo 5. The competitive community loves it as well. The issue is that the damage was done with Reach/H4/MCC all being meh. And then Halo 5 comes out and its even less of a Halo game than Reach/H4, while still being good.  Halo 5 is what Reach could/should have been if they really wanted to add sprint and all that. I would have preferred to not have that stuff added and just kept a classic feel but whatever.

I personally did not like H5 at all when it came out. Me and my friend went and bought BO3 and played that til January. It wasn't until I saw some old Halo peeps I follow on twitter going crazy about Lethul leaving Evil Geniuses that I actually got involved with the competitive commnunity / team beyond again. And from there I started watching XGames and such and now I'm back to gaming Team Arena like it's prime H3.

I very highly doubt that

Then I very highly doubt you're in the right place.

I very highly doubt that

Then I very highly doubt you're in the right place.

Im sure there are a lot of people who dont like Halo 3. As i said it's not my favourite either. But i'm willing to bet there are way more people who dont like reach/4/5

Are you sure about that?

Yes. Everyone I talk to that plays competitively really enjoys H5.

Yes. Everyone I talk to that plays competitively really enjoys H5.

Well I guess that makes sense, you're only  going to play H5 competitively if you enjoy it.  The people I was thinking of are competitive Halo players but do not play H5.  

Well, obviously. I think H3 kind of started the downfall of MLG though, it didn't kill it like Reach though. Competitive Halo is still a joke imo. Personally I just want a bare bones kind of game. No flying, thrusting, double jumping, wall running, sprint, etc. I don't care if it's Halo, CoD or another shooter. I just started playing Black Ops 1 since they made it backwards compatible. Feels nice playing a normal game again.

I'd try out Overwatch when it comes out if you haven't tried the beta. Some ridiculous moves but tons of balance in the game.

Also Halo 3 MLG viewership was way higher than H2's.

Not sure why people always shit on Halo 3. Maybe the core gameplay wasn't as good as Halo 1/2 but you can't deny that it was hugely popular both casually and competitively. H3F was huge back then, everyone was playing it still despite it being shitty to all the OGs. Montage community was ridiculous too. 

Reach pretty much killed all the momentum Halo 3 had going for it. I actually really enjoyed Reach (point checking all of h3f >) but I see why it caused a big downfall. Halo 4 was even worse, man I hated that game. I was pretty much done with Halo / FPS around when Halo 4 came out but I got sidelined playing hockey so I picked it up. Two weeks of grinding before I stopped and sold it pretty soon after.  MCC once it was working / Team Hardcore came out was awesome. Wish I could go back and play MCC but its such a drastic change from Halo 5 that it takes me way too much time to adapt back and fourth between games. The movement system in H5 is just too sick that I try to do the same things in MCC and they just do not work at all.  

Yeah, so many people on this forum try to excessively shit on H3 for no reason. How can you even claim that H3 started the "downfall of MLG" when viewers, prize pools, and player population was never higher? It was a fantastic game and had the most entertaining competitive (and casual) scene out of any Halo game.

Bloom and the maps in Reach destroyed the scene single-handedly. If Reach had been released as it was after no-bloom was implemented, I think it would've done fine though. The no-bloom event in Columbus was amazing and the crowd was great as well. If Bungie had actually responded to the major problems immediately, they could've saved Halo's competitive scene.

343 completely fucked up with MCC. That was their chance to revitalize the community, bring back old fans that they had lost, and become a popular series again but the launch was so bad. The only reason I bought an Xbox One was for MCC and I regret every penny still. Since I already have it though, I think I'll pick up H5 off of Kijiji or Craigslist for cheap and try it out. I've heard a lot of good things about it and it looks fun competitively so I'm looking forward to playing it.

EDIT: Also Ging, if you want a barebones FPS, play CS. It's really the best FPS I've ever played. It's very tough to pick up but that's why it's so great, there's actually a huge skillgap, maps are fantastic, shooting mechanics are cool, and I love matchmaking in it as well (although there are a lot of smurfs and a few hackers every now and then).

Just play the game you like and spread the word. For example, some people have never heard of xlink or Halo and Halo 2 LAN's but I bet they would play them over MCC.

Not sure why people always shit on Halo 3. Maybe the core gameplay wasn't as good as Halo 1/2 but you can't deny that it was hugely popular both casually and competitively. H3F was huge back then, everyone was playing it still despite it being shitty to all the OGs. Montage community was ridiculous too. 

Reach pretty much killed all the momentum Halo 3 had going for it. I actually really enjoyed Reach (point checking all of h3f >) but I see why it caused a big downfall. Halo 4 was even worse, man I hated that game. I was pretty much done with Halo / FPS around when Halo 4 came out but I got sidelined playing hockey so I picked it up. Two weeks of grinding before I stopped and sold it pretty soon after.  MCC once it was working / Team Hardcore came out was awesome. Wish I could go back and play MCC but its such a drastic change from Halo 5 that it takes me way too much time to adapt back and fourth between games. The movement system in H5 is just too sick that I try to do the same things in MCC and they just do not work at all.  

I try not to shit on H3, I played it for so long.  However I understand why people can't stand it.  It's so different from its predecessors and had a lesser skill gap.  I remember many of the people who gave up on Halo and moved on when 3 came out.  To me, it was a sign of things to come.  But yeah no doubt it was the most popular title.  

And just out of curiosity, what about H5's movement makes it so sick in your eyes?  Also, you genuinely enjoyed Reach with it's out of box settings and maps? 

Just play the game you like and spread the word. For example, some people have never heard of xlink or Halo and Halo 2 LAN's but I bet they would play them over MCC.

That's actually one of the communities I referred to in my previous long post.  There's a few threads on Beyond and some Discord chats I've seen to compliment.   

Yeah, so many people on this forum try to excessively shit on H3 for no reason. How can you even claim that H3 started the "downfall of MLG" when viewers, prize pools, and player population was never higher? It was a fantastic game and had the most entertaining competitive (and casual) scene out of any Halo game.

Bloom and the maps in Reach destroyed the scene single-handedly. If Reach had been released as it was after no-bloom was implemented, I think it would've done fine though. The no-bloom event in Columbus was amazing and the crowd was great as well. If Bungie had actually responded to the major problems immediately, they could've saved Halo's competitive scene.

343 completely fucked up with MCC. That was their chance to revitalize the community, bring back old fans that they had lost, and become a popular series again but the launch was so bad. The only reason I bought an Xbox One was for MCC and I regret every penny still. Since I already have it though, I think I'll pick up H5 off of Kijiji or Craigslist for cheap and try it out. I've heard a lot of good things about it and it looks fun competitively so I'm looking forward to playing it.

EDIT: Also Ging, if you want a barebones FPS, play CS. It's really the best FPS I've ever played. It's very tough to pick up but that's why it's so great, there's actually a huge skillgap, maps are fantastic, shooting mechanics are cool, and I love matchmaking in it as well (although there are a lot of smurfs and a few hackers every now and then).

I don't think too many people try to excessively shit on H3 for no reason.  Back in 2007, yes people did in waves, but now not so much.  You have to understand this; think about how much you may hate Reach and H4.  There are/were  a lot of people who felt that way about H3 when it came out.  People like to see progressive change in a series, no change just for the sake of change.  To quite something Cursed Lemon said recently, "Halo doesn't get better, it only gets different".  This can be said about H2 and onward.

And I agree with everything you said about Reach.

I try not to shit on H3, I played it for so long.  However I understand why people can't stand it.  It's so different from its predecessors and had a lesser skill gap.  I remember many of the people who gave up on Halo and moved on when 3 came out.  To me, it was a sign of things to come.  But yeah no doubt it was the most popular title.  

And just out of curiosity, what about H5's movement makes it so sick in your eyes?  Also, you genuinely enjoyed Reach with it's out of box settings and maps? 

I will have to disagree on the lesser skill gap. H2 and H3 are practically very different. Lets give an example like me I'm pretty good at H3 but when it comes to H2 im pretty average. But if i play against someone who is really good at H2 and i play them on H3 they do the same as how i do on H2.  

If i played someone who played casual H3 it would be an easy game just like H2.

I like to say both games have big skill gaps and both are very different from each other in that aspect.

- On to the topic, H5 is a very weird game in my eyes. when i first played it i hated it but after seeing CLG win worlds i tried it out and had a lot of fun running 4s in Arena. Is it anywhere near as good as the first 3 Halo's? No. Does it deserve some recognition? Yes. 

The problem to me with H5 is if you watched MLG H2 and H3 back in the day to me it seamed to have better flow,not so chaotic. Now i'm watching pro streams and it seems like H5 is so random. Like on strongholds, I'll see someone kill half the opposing team but that team still manage to cap a base or I'll see Lethul just kill someone yet the guy he killed is already top mid. 

IDK what i'm trying to say but to me H5 is a lot more like COD then it is Halo. Random and very chaotic. 

IMO that's why CSGO is doing so well e-sport wise (Other then Skins) it has flow. You know where the opposing team can be. You have a general idea on how the game is going to be played out.

I meant towards the very end of H3. I might of been getting it mixed up with the beginning of the end with reach though. But I think when people starting switching teams and getting dropped is when MLG halo started to fall apart. Also I was thinking about getting overwatch. I tried getting into CS, but I'm just not a big pc fan. CS lacked the casual vibe for me as well. Maybe I just need more friends on steam to enjoy it more.
Telling ya Ging, you'd absolutely love Overwatch.

And Reach numbers for MLG actually weren't bad, but Halo 4 absolutely killed the hardcore fan/our forum community. But relative to this "Halo 3 is crap talk" you guys have to understand that pretty much this entire forum predicted the path that Halo would go down once we saw the direction the developers went with Halo 3. Most of the engine of Halo 2 was completely abandoned and the game just hasn't had the same feel since, instead trending towards a lowered skilled gap and then eventually a COD reboot.
Ok so MLG shouldn't have moved on to reach after realizing how terrible it was they should've just stuck with halo 3 instead of abandoning it completely. Or even go back to 2.  I think if MLG stuck with 3 people would've still kept playing 3.