Bringing back the Ultimate Halo Fragvid Collection?

Currently downloading. This is a lot of stuff!
SCACE THE LEGENDARY WARRIOR
Didn't see the one I've ben looking for :( Anybody have Sexorcists first H2 montage?

Nice to see other people are interested in this whole thing.

Just as a followup, looks like Comcast is going to be upgrading our Blast package to Extreme 105, so I can upload faster, but also we don't have a bandwidth cap here in my area. So that's fun. When it's upgraded I'll be able to push around 2-2.5megabytes per second me thinks.

Looks like the server was a good investment to have as well, like when we originally launched it's pushing many MB\s. Glad people are interested still all these years later.

& @Crest looks like it's actually uploading to you now, before it wouldn't transfer shit but now it's running pretty good. & Thanks slater for doing the writeup. 

currently downloading but only @ 1.4mb/s   :/
just ordered myself an external specifically for this.

big ups to Thomas for possibly organizing a 2.0. I would just follow Strife's and Bjorn's Frag's method to a tee, they organized this 1.0 in the most efficient way i believe. 

@slater I think we could exclude glitching videos and such, but I kind of think it would be nice to maybe have highlight videos and definitely community driven content. Exus was making a bunch of h2v highlight videos awhile ago. And obviously a lot of people have been coming out with their own highlight videos.

What about the summer editing contest entries and the tages that got submitted for the most recent montage contest?

We also have the top 10's I made.

I don't know about all the top tens everyone else has made, if people want that or not. But being that it was made for thf I think that would be great to include

Any and all community tages, such as  ours for example

edit: we don't need all the summer editing contest entries, that would be too much. But maybe it would be nice to have the top 3/top 5 winners.

big ups to Thomas for possibly organizing a 2.0. I would just follow Strife's and Bjorn's method to a tee, they organized this 1.0 in the most efficient way i believe. 

Haha it was low strife and Fragtality. I just seeded it for years and uploaded like 4TB worth of data to others while seeding it, until a few weeks ago when my hard drive crashed.

Definitely. Highlight videos are montages. Just that people dont just take all their files and dump it on you to sort out, with the little meta data entry you make people think about what theyre entering. Montage contests and editing contests for sure get the top 5 to top 25 depending on amount of entries. I like the idea of including the top 10s, those were fun and anything produced with the thf community is worth keeping. Also do we accept everything post summer 2010 or anything that wasnt in the first one? Like my post fin halo 2 shutdown series was around that time for example.
Anything that isn't in the first one, for sure. I mean we could have easily missed something and this is the opportunity for someone to add it.
I'm only downloading all the montages from each respective game present. Currently at 50% and it looks like I have 1 day to go!
Alright, i can send you like 40 gigs of videos next weekend, most of which i already have uploaded and the meta data filled out for. Just gotta go over what id like to add to it. So you have a start list and can kinda figure out how you want to do this exactly.
How are we going to distribute the collection?
#SillyGoosing   OH GAWD! lol xD

haha

@Thomasxp5 I guess that'd depend on the size of the total thing. I'm guessing it could get really big with all the 1gig videos. In that case nothing beats a torrent as far as I know. I have no experience with setting that up tho.

Okay, setting up a torrent seems pretty simple and I'd have plenty of time to figure it out anyways. So what exactly do you want to use this metadata for exactly?

so you can search the torrent/ can know exactly which videos you have, the preserving history torrent is a great resource but trying to find a certain montage in it isn't particularly easy because you have to search on file name. I have hardly ever actually gone through it watching videos + I know because me and mike had to go through each video in the halo 2 montage section to find out what video it was, by whom, what title etc. you couldnt just go on filename in the majority of cases. This torrent has promise to be significantly larger than the last.

If you just want to have these files sit on a bunch of computers it isnt needed, if you want people to be able to have and watch their favorite montages it is. E.g. when I open the torrent I could first only download the excel file, then look at what montages I want, select the matching file names in the torrent and boom I just saved downloading 500 GB's and clogging up the torrent speed. 

On top of that it's a barrier for people to just throw a shitton of files your way for you to have to sort it all out and it creates possibilities for future use without a few people having to do an insane amount of digging like we had this winter. 

Problem nowadays is that bandwidth for 400, 600, 800GB of files isn't really... feasilbe. You see how long this takes.

Also, metadata is a big problem too, naming schemes aren't the best. It's decent but still not perfect. I still think some sort of streaming system should be in place, which is why I like the Youtube idea the best. Combine + create a repository of them all on there which won't be deleted. Torrents are great but they're becoming dated. & I can't imagine having to move 600GB or trying to sell that much disc space for a project.

My 2c

big ups to Thomas for possibly organizing a 2.0. I would just follow Strife's and Bjorn's Frag's method to a tee, they organized this 1.0 in the most efficient way i believe. 

My only regret is burrying the "optional 1080P" videos (some 20GB) in each invidigual folders. E.G you had to go to like 4 different places and untick 4 boxes to not download them if you didn't want... Which was in hindsight bad because I should have had a single folder at a higher level that you could select one and just knock them all out. Or not even 1080P at all to keep the size down.

But yeah I'd have to agree with me & you and say the existing file structure is probably the best way we could do it. Most likely people want to see something from the specific game so they know where to start.

Having the server... such important. This one is based in the USA, and has 2TB of traffic per month with 360gb of space. Decent specs but if we would host something more permanent I think we could shop around for a better combination of things. 

Ok how about this:

Both nv1 and thomas download the files people send in

Thomas to upload them to (the thf?) youtube

Nv1 to put them on the server to link to the video feature as we did with many videos of this very Preserving History Torrent

Everyone has to send in the meta data thing I suggested > someone copies those entries in the google sheet, thomas then enters in the youtube link after the upload

that would look like this but without the missing youtube links

we can auto-insert them all into the videos feature at once on this site from such a sheet, like we did at launch with what we had. So they are easily searchable with no download required but still with physical files linked to every one. Which we might be able to make available for single download to donors or some kind of premium membership or something later on. 

That way this site itself would act as both the vault for all the files AND the easy way to search for all quality halo videos without clutter AND the place to stream them for free from youtube

Hey guys, glad to see there's some real interest in this.

It makes me a little sad, myself and a few others worked very hard in attempts to bring essentially the entire "Ultimate Fragvid Collection" to the videos section of the site on launch. Sadly, I didn't get anywhere near the participation needed to make that a reality. Data entry is tedious, I know, so I'm not surprised we fell short of our goal to get these all into the site.

In regards to the torrent, while right now it is the most feasible way we have of distributing these videos, it's ultimately not a great solution for accessibility. That's exactly why I wanted to bring all of its (the torrent) content to the site.

My suggestion would be for us to continue the data entry for the spreadsheet that Slater screenshot and posted above. The plan was that once that data entry was finished, I would send in a hard drive to Amazon (where I host the video archive files) and have them bulk import them to my server. At that point, I could do an import of data from the spreadsheet that would allow us to bring all of these videos into our on-site archive, with links to the original files.

I think that could definitely work, it would really help if the people submitting gave us the info we needed which we could just copy paste into the database to streamline the whole process. Which is a good suggestion you made.

Thank God for lowstrife still being active

<3 you 

75% jesus download speeds have been slow :(
Just to add on, maybe we could make a thf account or e-mail, something that we can all share so that we can both keep track of what we've downloaded and what still needs to be entered into the excel. And just have it serve as a central point for everyone to submit to.

Sending a drive to amazon indeed would work. I think you can limit the number that need to be uploaded to Youtube as well because many already exist on there on other channels, unless we want to have them all in one-place anyway.

I think we can leave out many of the tricking\random\crappy videos from Halo 1 Halo 2 and focus mainly on trailers and montages.

75% jesus download speeds have been slow :(

You're welcome for getting a seedbox as well to give you reasonable download speeds... Besides, I'm uploading it from my home connection so the initial upload will take a while, 230GB isn't tiny.

Just to add on, maybe we could make a thf account or e-mail, something that we can all share so that we can both keep track of what we've downloaded and what still needs to be entered into the excel. And just have it serve as a central point for everyone to submit to.

You can share google documents among different people and make notations, each doc can have multiple editors. You can add their email\google accounts to the list of approved people to limit public access.

yeah thomas, just check up on the montage archive thread in VIP, we use a google sheet with restricted access, one simply asks nv1 for access by sending him their google account name

your seeding is much appreciated ls

I mean for downloading purposes, its easier to keep track of submissions if everything is being sent to one account. Ill check out the vip thread later.
Wasn't trying to be disrespectful, appreciate the upload greatly :)
ah ok, I assumed they'd just PM it to you and nv1 but I guess that could be a thing. like an account you, nv1 and whoever is doing the google sheet have access to.

I think there's a disconnect here.

Are you guys talking about adding videos to the torrent? If so, that needs to be a separate effort from my spreadsheet, which is specifically for taking the videos FROM the torrent and entering data around each of those videos so that it can be imported into the site video archive.

Here's what I'd like to see:

Phase 1

• Clean up the torrent, get rid of unnecessary videos (anything that isn't a montage).
  • Don't add any new videos to it.
  • Get enough people to download it who are willing to help contribute to the next bullet point.
  • Finish filling out this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10YEZqMTP54ReiI4WNGUdhbFJ3Kp8gMSH...
  • Torrent and spreadsheet match 1 to 1.
  • I send the entire collection of video files to Amazon to add to my S3 fileserver.
  • Mass import the videos from the spreadsheet into the video system on this site.

Phase 2

• Add upload functionality to our video submission system.
  • Continue to fill out the archive through community submissions in attempts to gather all Halo montages to date.
  • Add video file download links for all videos (from my Amazon S3 fileserver)
    • This feature may only be available to premium members or donors depending on hosting/bandwidth costs.
  • Add new features to video archive to allow for better searching, filtering, as well as the creation of playlists.
    • Examples of playlists: THF Movie Competition, THF Movie Competition 2, THF Summer Editing Contestants
  • Add commenting/ratings to videos.
  • Custom embedded streaming directly from Amazon for videos that don't exist on Youtube.

If I could get like 4-6 people to get on board with this, I really feel like we could make it happen. Just think, a completely comprehensive archive, all indexed, searchable, downloadable, watchable right here on our site. Like a Youtube specifically for Halo videos. And then to continue to encourage and drive people to submit their videos to this archive into the future so that there was always a place for you to watch and download them. That way, regardless of what happens to videos on Youtube (whether a channel is deleted, or a video is taken down for copyright), we always have a place that we can find these videos, and preserve history.

My inclination for restarting the torrent was because i have the storage for it and wanted to just expand the parties which had the collection so as to not have to redo the tedious collection process. I didn't intend for it to make it a database for people to find their favorite videos. Just to revive the seedbase basically.

Anything ontop of that in terms of making a accessible database for finding and searching videos was not intended to tie together with the torrent, just came up organically with the discussion.

I was just thinking about this this past week. Way back when it seemed like such a crazy amount of storage to have but now it doesn't seem so scary.

I think there's a disconnect here.

Are you guys talking about adding videos to the torrent? If so, that needs to be a separate effort from my spreadsheet, which is specifically for taking the videos FROM the torrent and entering data around each of those videos so that it can be imported into the site video archive.

Here's what I'd like to see:

Phase 1

Clean up the torrent, get rid of unnecessary videos (anything that isn't a montage).
Don't add any new videos to it.
Get enough people to download it who are willing to help contribute to the next bullet point.
Finish filling out this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10YEZqMTP54ReiI4WNGUdhbFJ3Kp8gMSH...
Torrent and spreadsheet match 1 to 1.
I send the entire collection of video files to Amazon to add to my S3 fileserver.
Mass import the videos from the spreadsheet into the video system on this site.

Phase 2

Add upload functionality to our video submission system.
Continue to fill out the archive through community submissions in attempts to gather all Halo montages to date.
Add video file download links for all videos (from my Amazon S3 fileserver)

This feature may only be available to premium members or donors depending on hosting/bandwidth costs.

Add new features to video archive to allow for better searching, filtering, as well as the creation of playlists.

Examples of playlists: THF Movie Competition, THF Movie Competition 2, THF Summer Editing Contestants

Add commenting/ratings to videos.
Custom embedded streaming directly from Amazon for videos that don't exist on Youtube.

If I could get like 4-6 people to get on board with this, I really feel like we could make it happen. Just think, a completely comprehensive archive, all indexed, searchable, downloadable, watchable right here on our site. Like a Youtube specifically for Halo videos. And then to continue to encourage and drive people to submit their videos to this archive into the future so that there was always a place for you to watch and download them. That way, regardless of what happens to videos on Youtube (whether a channel is deleted, or a video is taken down for copyright), we always have a place that we can find these videos, and preserve history.

+1 to everything you laid out here, this is a extremely comprehensive and well laid out plan from just a "let me sit down and write out bullet points" point of view. I won't be volunteering for this work but I'll stick around to see what becomes of it :)

I think this is what I had originally envisioned back when I created the project, as something you can stream\individually look at is much easier than having to download the whole damn torrent. But back then the hosting\technical capabilities simply weren't there to match it, especially with the disarray the site hosters\founders (Z? Niceguy?) were in back then.

I mean for downloading purposes, its easier to keep track of submissions if everything is being sent to one account. Ill check out the vip thread later.

there would have to be a central repository yes, I had to weed through MANY duplicates in the main collection to whittle it down to what it is today.

The best ways to do this are sort by filename, and then filesize, and then by creation date. This helps you sort out duplicates, but again can be very tedious and needs to be done last.

I was just thinking about this this past week. Way back when it seemed like such a crazy amount of storage to have but now it doesn't seem so scary.

Yeah times change a lot in 5 years. Nowadays it's more a issue of bandwidth and the time it takes to move 200GB rather than the space it'll take up on your disc.

+1 to everything you laid out here, this is a extremely comprehensive and well laid out plan from just a "let me sit down and write out bullet points" point of view. I won't be volunteering for this work but I'll stick around to see what becomes of it :)

I think this is what I had originally envisioned back when I created the project, as something you can stream\individually look at is much easier than having to download the whole damn torrent. But back then the hosting\technical capabilities simply weren't there to match it, especially with the disarray the site hosters\founders (Z? Niceguy?) were in back then.

It's an awesome concept, and I can say that your fragvid collection was the direct inspiration for what I've built into the site. In fact, about 400 of the videos from the original torrent were imported into the video archive before launch thanks to the efforts of Slater, Mike, and a few others.