Dlongo: The Halo 3 Montage - by zhestaL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afC6G39JphE

After many, many months I'm really excited to say Dlongo's Halo 3 montage is finally finished.  Although I can't say this montage doesn't have its flaws, I'm still satisfied with how it came out.

Thanks to: 
Derek for waiting a long time for this video to be finished (apologies for not making it in time for the THF Movie thing as well).
Local for sharing helpful feedback throughout most of the making of this montage.
Puba for giving me intro songs (even though I ultimately didn't use any of them.)
Ishii for hooking me up with this project.
Novus for being Grif's stupid editing team.
Toasty for being Tyler and Canadian.
Dutchy for being Dennis (lol).

We hope you enjoy the show...
Make sure to leave a post or comment, as I love reading feedback especially the constructive sort.

1080p Download: https://mega.co.nz/#!jk8kXTrJ!UIjC7ds0gMoulYgnvIa9xbFZu5bGmyWkPdlNbqmFI9c

Everyone has to check this out.
So many multis, I'm going to watch the rest of this later. But glad to see your finally done with it zhestal.

Hot diggity damn, these kinds of pearls are why I love this place.

You're one of the editors that pulls of a hype style with the right balance to still fit it in a longer video. It's not my preference but you do it rather well.

Beautiful work

So many jaro's and higher.That was really entertaining. I thought the length of it was going to be too much, but there was pretty much no fillers and the editing was solid and not overdone. Great job you guys.
That was sick. Sometimes the editing felt a bit overwhelming  but it was nothing I couldn't tolerate. Great job to both of you guys, bonus points for Aurorian Dance in the credits ;)
Just simply... amazing editing and so many multi kills... just an amazing tage, so Dope!!!  
fuck that was a good montage.
amazing montage guys. The third song was editing wise a little bit more fitting to my style than the first and second on,  thought it was sometimes a little too fast paced at some points for my taste. but i honestly can't say you didn't pull it off in both parts, it was still greatly executed. Gameplay was amazing as well of course, can't say much shit about that either.  sick
Such a great montage! Everything about this video is just executed so well.

This was just.. wow. Everything about this montage was amazing. Great job on this man. I loved it

I never thought I'd hear Young & Beautiful in a Halo Montage, but.. I have now and you made it fit perfectly. 

Holy fuck, that was sooooo good.

Everything was amazing. Big props to everyone involved in this.

If you have a download, post it plz because I bet youtube took some of the greatness away from the color.

Epic soundtrack as well.

holy fuck
Whatever happened to FBWalshyFTW? I looked at his channel for the first time in over a year. He hasn't uploaded anything in like 4 or 5 months? Does anyone still upload montages?
What happened to our channel?
WOW! The transitions during the Lana Del Rey song were amazing. You must have spent quite some time in theater, the angles were so tight in some sequences. Good job to both of you!

The montage just blew me away, just like It blew every other montage ive seen in 2015 out of the water. So good in fact, Dlongo's already up there with Fatty and the Dutchman for me as far as gameplay goes, it's just that good.

Some of the clips are frankly unparalleled, like that construct trip shot going up the lift turned into a jaro... like u have to be kidding me... i expected so many of these clips to end earlier than they did, and they just kept getting higher and higher until i thought i was just gonna overdose on all of the euphoria i was feeling. Typically nothing surprises me nowadays with all the gameplay we've seen, and the standards as what they are now, but this just took things to a whole new level... even in 2015

Incredible, incredible job. Editing was so beautiful too, i'll probably appreciate it more as i continue to rewatch this over the years

We have a youtube channel!? lol.

We have a youtube channel!? lol.

lolwut, 

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheHaloForumChannel/videos

like Ive said before, if anyone wants their vid on there feel free to send it to a VIP and we'll discuss it. obvi thf intro requirement.

I was jk man.
dont joke with me this early mayne
Damn, that was reaaally good.

Updated the thread with a download link.

Thanks for the posts guys.  Glad a lot of people like it.

Ridiculous clip editing as usual from Zhestal. I don't think I've ever seen anyone edit at such a fast pace and keep the coherency. How you manage to edit this game like you do when it only runs at 30 fps is beyond me. I think it'll be at least a year or two before anyone else touches this level of work.

Angles were a step above as well. You can really see Local's influence in a lot of the time remapping on the angles and it's really really nice. With that said though one of the things I enjoyed about Toasty M1 and a lot of your other previous work is that you really don't use a lot of angles and rely on the clips themselves more. It may just be me but it felt a bit odd watching one of your vids and seeing so many angles. Certainly not a criticism though, really just an observation.

Some really great touches in there as well. The transition between CCs using Valhalla was genius and beautiful. Some of the angle transitions were just ridiculous as well. You've obviously absolutely mastered the theater camera and using motion to tie angles together in a way that only one or two other editors have.

Gameplay was simply next level. That is all.

I have to say though, I guess I feel like this video was a bit less inspired than some of your prior work. I don't know if I can really quantify it but Toasty M1 and Midnight both felt like they had a bit more charm than this video did. I know I keep going back to Toasty but there were so many unique effects and transitions that I'm still not sure how you did them, and in this video I didn't have quite the same feeling of being blown away. It seems like you focused much more on pushing the clip editing and angles in this vid, which was awesome, but I personally tend to prefer the creativity and charm of some of your other work. 

Still an absolutely ridiculous video though of course.

I' am lazy so i will post in german. *googlewillhelpyou*

Ich habe mir das Video das erste mal heute auf der Arbeit angeschaut. Da war ich zwar schon von dem Gameplay überwältigt. Aber das Editing ist nicht so ganz bei mir angekommen. Zuhause mit der Download-Version und Kopfhörern ist das schon was anderes. Der Edit war einfach perfekt. Man hat gemerkt, wieviel arbeit du in das video gesteckt hast. Ich hatte so viele Highlights. Von der schnellen Einführung des Gameplays zur Musik-Auswahl war alles genial. Den zweiten Song fand ich am besten. Aber bei den anderen beiden war auch alles ULLTRA SICK. Die Anzahl der Angles war angemessen. Zwei Effekte haben mich besonders begeistert. Zum einen der Übergang 7:46 und der Effekt von 8:23 bis 8:27. Ich frage mich wie man auf sowas überhaupt kommt. Soooo SICKKK! Etwas unsicher bin ich mir aber, ob alle Quickscopes und Outzooms mit 100% Geschwindigkeit liefen. Wenn nicht auch egal. Jeden Falls sehr sehr sehr geile Sache von dir Zhestal. Wie immer eigentlicht.

Jetzt zum Gameplay. Das war einfach nicht von dieser Welt. Ich liebe es wenn das Gameplay in einer Montage sick anfängt und sick aufhört - und dazwischen auch sick ist. Es war gar kein Lückenfüller drin - nicht mal im Abspann (Ich hasse dich :)). Ich hatte so viele Momente wo ich gesagt habe: Ok, hier endet der Clip. Zum Beispiel 3:08. Einen ähnlichen Quickscope hatte Hyena als Over in seiner Final Montage drin. Und du machst einfach einen jaro draus. Was ist nur los mit dir??? Auch die 360s waren unnormal. 

Es gibt noch soviel zu sagen, aber mir fällt gerade nichts mehr ein. Ich prophezeie einfach mal, dass in diesem Jahr nichts dieses Video übertrumpfen kann. GREAT WORK!

You can definitely tell a lot of time was put into this, that's refreshing to see nowadays.
GP was unreal. Edit was solid as well had some really nice angles and had that beautiful transition from LR to Narrows. Really wish you would have followed through with the whole Pink Floyd song, we could always use some more of that in montages!
Those clips were fucking insane.
Gameplay was cool, I've voiced my distaste for multi-team in the past so I'll just leave it at that.  Edit was sick, the first song I wasn't really feeling it but god damn that third song was unreal. 
Incredible, editing got a little too overwhelming at times but this is something both of you should be very proud of.
that was fucking crazy, man

Yo this guy is on mad addies or something because there's no way.

But for real, literally every clip had incredible snipes in it. That 720 900 whatever spin killtrocity threw me for a loop! So good dude, and the editing/song choice was refreshing to say the least! 

Amazing job you guys! 9.5/10 :)

Definitely ranked in my book as one of the best social tages in existence. I thought the editing was absolutely perfect. I loved the pace and flow, you are an inspiration! 

The sheer volume of the gameplay alone puts it into the upper echelon before you even really begin consider the individual plays and clips. I think i enjoyed this more than anything i saw in the most recent THF Movie comp.

I think this is the highest body count I've ever seen in any montage ever. I don't feel like counting but I'm guessing somewhere between 200-300 kills in all. Absolutely insane gameplay.

On the edit, I'll just say that this is the first 11 minute video that hasn't bored me at least once. Holy shit, some of those angles and transitions were gorgeous, I don't even know how you did the theater work. Bravo

9/10

I've been waiting to see Dlongo's gameplay for a looooong time after that 'leftovertage' with ridiculous gameplay came out and everyone just claimed he was being pretencious. Well as it happens he wasn't. There were still one or two clips from the leftovertage that i preferred to 1 or 2 of the clips in here but the overall standard was so high it doesn't even matter anyway. The gameplay in this montage was ABSOLUTELY INSANE! There were multiple clips that just left my mouth wide open in awe which is a rarity in this day and age with the horrific lengths standards have been pushed to. I have a fetish for team slayer / social slayer clips and this satisfied that so very much. In all honesty i'd go as far to say that this is the highest caliber SS / TS gameplay i've ever seen in a halo 3 video and i don't make that claim lightly. And i remember Hog showing me that 2fer jaro into poc on snowbound and being absolutely astounded. I don't know how you do it, i really don't. As for the editing, this wasn't up their with my favorites by you zhestal but that's not even a bad thing - i think overall you have the highest quality in editing videos out of any editor IMO. The pace felt a little too fast in the first song but i loved the young and beautiful song, i think it worked really well and from a technical point of view there really was nothing wrong with the editing at all really. Well done guys, you created (in my opinion) an instant classic and i'll be coming back to rewatch for years to come, which i can't say about many halo videos anymore