Musical Instrument Discussion Thread

Play an instrument? Have questions about gear? Interested in learning an instrument? On youtube or soundcloud?  Post here!
Lets see what kind of talent THF has!

I occasionally post here, it's basically a dumping ground for poorly recorded improvisation or demos.

https://soundcloud.com/imjustsamhughes/sets/analog-fireworks-jam-session-1

​(I play guitar).

KatalysTT, great thread idea. Plus I dig your tunes. 

I am going to start taking piano next quarter. I'm really excited to be musically involved again. I played violin as a kid for 9 years, then drums on and off in high school. I really miss playing music.

KatalysTT, great thread idea. Plus I dig your tunes. 

I am going to start taking piano next quarter. I'm really excited to be musically involved again. I played violin as a kid for 9 years, then drums on and off in high school. I really miss playing music.

I love piano! The piano I have is really old and doesn't stay in tune at all so playing it can be very unpleasant to the ear, would love to lay down the cash for a new one but if I was going to put that money into something it would definitely be guitar or saxophone related(A nice saxophone is crazy expensive). The next instrument I would want to learn is definitely cello or violin- I assume if you learn one the other wouldn't be as difficult to learn?

Here is my latest acoustic vid, it's actually the outro from the first song I ever wrote in this style but I am coming back to it after a few years and polishing it up. I entered it for this contest but didn't make it through unfortunately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIzlp2PuNWI

​Also, thinking about using this in one of my next halo videos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAzjgWa-JnQ

I love piano! The piano I have is really old and doesn't stay in tune at all so playing it can be very unpleasant to the ear, would love to lay down the cash for a new one but if I was going to put that money into something it would definitely be guitar or saxophone related(A nice saxophone is crazy expensive). The next instrument I would want to learn is definitely cello or violin- I assume if you learn one the other wouldn't be as difficult to learn?

Yeah that's definitely true. Probably somewhat comparable to the differences between guitar and bass.

Also, those songs were great. Damn dude, you are talented. I love that first one especially.

I've been playing the drums on and off for about ten years now. Didn't play much toward the end of middle school/beginning of high school, but a few friends and I started a band in high school and have since disbanded because we all went our separate ways after graduation. I've been dabbling with guitar lately, and since I don't have a band to play with I hope to write a few songs, record each part on my own and put together a little demo or something. I have some drum tracks saved on my computer so I'll make a point to post one or two of those in this thread.

I definitely wouldn't mind collaborating with some people here to record some stuff. You could send me an mp3 of a guitar track -- or anything really -- and I could record some drums over it just for fun. 

I used to rock the clarinet for my schools band in grade 7 or so. Shit was legit. Got to fly to some music competition on the other side of the country. 

I'm surprised I don't play any other instruments though. My dad has like 20 guitars just laying around the house (he plays in a semi-succesful punk band). I've just never really been interested in learning.

Katalyst you're the man

I've played piano for 7 years give or take, I wish I had more time for it but it always gets pushed off for other shit. 

white people are good

It would be sweet to have a collaboration on a project here. I could write something and figure out some parts for different instruments to have you guys play or if people are able to make something up as well.  Grif and Piano Frenzy could lay down the piano tracks, Ian could drum, Stobs on Violin, Eamonn could rock the clarinet and anyone else who wants to contribute. I know Cynic can play a bunch of instruments if I remember correctly. 

Then we could throw it all together in a THF communitage. That would be pretty awesome but difficult depending on recording capability for everyone.

It could definitely be done, my younger brother learned all the parts of an allman brothers song and synched them together, it's on youtube somewhere but I feel kind of funny sharing it.  
that would be cool to do some sort of collaboration. although, my writing style is probably a bit different from you guys.

https://db.tt/JZdgaijj

^ most recent thing (which is a small writing exercise)

Yeah we certainly all have different styles, but it could be fun/interesting to try to put something together. Adapting to something new and stepping out of the musical comfort zone helps bolster creativity in my opinion. When I get around to posting a drum track in here, you guys feel free to record something over it. 'Twould be cool to hear what people come up with. Likewise, if someone posts an mp3 track of them playing their instrument, give me permission and I shall record over it. Or I'll record over it without your permission. No track is safe ;)

PS if anyone records something with the intent of having others add to it, the use of a metronome is massively appreciated. 

Or just note the bpm so we don't have 2-3 metronome tracks on the layer recordings ;)

When I get this next round of supplies, I'll pretty much be able to do anything to a guitar except build it.

BRING ME YOUR MISWIRED, YOUR TONE-HUNGRY, YOUR POORLY INTONATED

Anyone have any entry level keyboard recommendations? Now that I live on my own and have graduated I have time to start learning seriously, but I also now don't have anything to play on.

Or just note the bpm so we don't have 2-3 metronome tracks on the layer recordings ;)

I didn't mean, like, include a click track, I just meant record it with a metronome to make it easier to record alongside. 

Anyone have any entry level keyboard recommendations? Now that I live on my own and have graduated I have time to start learning seriously, but I also now don't have anything to play on.

Do you need a keybaord with sounds already in it, or just a MIDI controller so you can play virtual instruments on your computer? 

If the former, http://www.amazon.com/Casio-CTK2400-PPK-Portable-Headphones/dp/B00JZEW4X...

If the latter, http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Oxygen-49-Keyboard-Controller/dp/B0031SCV46