Recently built a PC, can't get a signal to the monitor (HELP)

Hey guys,

I know this might be the wrong section, but I see we dont have a PC section anymore. As the title says I recently built a computer. I am actually still waiting on my new monitor, mouse, and keyboard, im just using my tv in my room as a monitor  in the mean time. I have everything put together, the motherboard has power, all the fans have power, the optical drive has power, the hard drive has power, the video card has power, everything has power that it should. However, I am not getting a signal on the monitor. I originally tried using a DVI to VGA adapter that came with the card, and now am trying a HDMI, but still no luck. Have tried switching the video card to the other port, nothing. Tried removing the battery on the mother board, nothing. Going to try and remove the RAM now.

Here is the part list:

CaseHard driveMotherboardPower supplyRAMProcessorGFX card

I know people have built PCs on here before, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

The RAM didn't change anything. Also tried removing the reset switch from the motherboard because I heard it can cause the system to not boot, still nothing :\

make sure you got the 4 pin cpu power cable plugged in m8

Have you connected the HDMI cable directly to the graphics card? I made a similar mistake by plugging in a DVI cable to the motherboard, lol
It's hard to troubleshoot with no signal to possibly update drivers or view the BIOS.

You could also try taking out the graphics card and booting from the motherboard through HDMI and then install the graphics card drivers.
Reinstall the graphics card after shutting down and reboot. But I'm unsure because your motherboard doesn't have any onboard video.

This is the problem I was running in to, there is no onboard video, so I can't do anything without a video card, no way to plug into the motherboard

@Scott - I had originally made this mistake, but after reading some of the manual I recognized that I had made this mistake and corrected it. Was hoping that was the problem :(

Definitely reseat all the PSU connectors just to be 100 percent. Especially the 6 pin for the GPU.
Also, try to find an actual monitor to use instead of the TV. It should at least show the BIOS splash screen when it POSTs, but many TVs have problems with displaying certain resolutions.

I had a thought that it might be the TV itself just not being able to display it. I will try and reseat all the connections

Thank you for the responses guys, any more comments are more than welcome

Have you connected the HDMI cable directly to the graphics card? I made a similar mistake by plugging in a DVI cable to the motherboard, lol
It's hard to troubleshoot with no signal to possibly update drivers or view the BIOS.

You could also try taking out the graphics card and booting from the motherboard through HDMI and then install the graphics card drivers.
Reinstall the graphics card after shutting down and reboot. But I'm unsure because your motherboard doesn't have any onboard video.

Yo I made this exact same mistake. I perfected my build and then was so depressed just to find out it was the dumbest mistake I've ever done

Give it a good whack.. should do the trick.
Stick your dick in it

The factory BIOS that shipped with this model mainboard does not support the CPU that you bought. You need to flash the BIOS to at least 1006 or newer for your computer to work.  The original BIOS 0203 will not post as you have it now.

Unfortunately, the system will have to be put in a POST-able state, meaning that you may have to buy the cheapest compatible CPU to get it up and running.

Also, I don't know if you noticed but you are running a PCI Express 3 card against a PCIe 2.0 bus.  While this may or may not work regarding backwards compatibility, it's still a little mis-match of components.  Your GFX will never be able to utilize the benefits of 3.0 on the 2.0 rail.

My suggestion - See if you can return the mainboard and shop for a new mainboard that has BOTH PCIe 3.0 support and as well, native BIOS support for your AM3 six-core CPU. Sorry I know this isn't good news since you will have to tear it down. 

ref

http://support.asus.com/Cpusupport/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&m=M5A97%...

@RV check your pms

Okay guys, I got a new motherboard, and I get a picture on my monitor and everything. But not I am having the issue that my hard drive isnt being recongized. My optical drive comes up in BIOS showing that it is recognized, but not the hard drive. tried using a different SATA cable, and changing the SATA ports, but with no luck. Could the hard drive be faulty? It doesnt start up to a constant hum, it starts for the first ~20 seconds with burts of 1-2 seconds of a spinning kind of scratching noise. After that it stops doing that. I dont know if just stops all together, or it calms down to a normal constant hum. 

Really fuckin bummed that i've yet again hit another snag.

Any help would be appreciated guys, I am a noob

The new mother board is an ASRock 970 Extreme4

Here is what it sounds like starting

https://youtu.be/jrovkGhUPCA