return: death frenzy | H2M3

shigurui.

That had some pretty dope cinematics. I liked all the random dolphins and pokemon things thrown in lol. You had some really good frag nades as well.

Dude the clip of you and that bitch was some straight T2 shit. Literally laughed my ass off.

Enjoyable video man. 

mlg 4 lyfe
was this video inspired by ghetto twitter

Thanks for reminding me how stunning the cut scenes in H2A looked.  Too bad 343i royally fucked up the gameplay.   This whole intro is really sick.  I like you how pixelated your face out, you've always been a very private person.  Fucking laughed out loud during the 'Allahu Akbar!' audio bit.  I'm really digging these out of map angles you used a lot of.  Some of the overlays just seem weird and out of place.  I can't really get down with this type of music, but I know that this is the shit you're into.  Yo was that anime scene at 4:57 from Ninja Scroll?   I really wish you would've entered this project into the montage competition Blackout.  Some of these transitions are hella dope; LOL at the SSBM audio bit for Puff during the Pokemon/Lockout Killfrenzy.  You're editing is superb man, really quality work here.  The little 1v1 bit with no music was actually a nice reprieve.   Wow you actually got a clip on Ben in H2?  The double launch on Foundation was hot.  The quality is also excellent, looks very nice even on YT.  The last ffa clip on middy was probably my favorite just because you got the frenzy as time ran out.  Fantastic video Blackout, can't wait to see what you come out with in the future.  

"You're editing is superb man, really quality work here"

Let's be real here. His VFX are superb, his editing is terrible.

Flow was basically nonexistant but I liked the visuals.  

Try and do some audio work next time if you're working in vegas (deleting the game audio and dubbing in gunshots, sound fx, etc), it really helps you to get your flow down if your audio is on point first.  

Thanks for reminding me how stunning the cut scenes in H2A looked.  Too bad 343i royally fucked up the gameplay.   This whole intro is really sick.  I like you how pixelated your face out, you've always been a very private person.  Fucking laughed out loud during the 'Allahu Akbar!' audio bit.  I'm really digging these out of map angles you used a lot of.  Some of the overlays just seem weird and out of place.  I can't really get down with this type of music, but I know that this is the shit you're into.  Yo was that anime scene at 4:57 from Ninja Scroll?   I really wish you would've entered this project into the montage competition Blackout.  Some of these transitions are hella dope; LOL at the SSBM audio bit for Puff during the Pokemon/Lockout Killfrenzy.  You're editing is superb man, really quality work here.  The little 1v1 bit with no music was actually a nice reprieve.   Wow you actually got a clip on Ben in H2?  The double launch on Foundation was hot.  The quality is also excellent, looks very nice even on YT.  The last ffa clip on middy was probably my favorite just because you got the frenzy as time ran out.  Fantastic video Blackout, can't wait to see what you come out with in the future.  

Yeah, blur studios did an incredible job recreating the cut scenes. Their work is a big inspiration to me when it comes to 3D work so I thought it was fitting to include a bit of it, originally I was going to do a 3 part storyboard centered around that but that never really came into fruition. I still have the project file but it was going to be a LOT of time and work lol. But the pixelation on my face is for a completely different reason than privacy, I stream with facecam like every time I play haha. About the music choice though, I listen to a lot of different music, I've actually been listen to a lot of like Chet Faker, Seekae, Snakadactyl, Saint Pepsi, Ta Ku and dude from my hometown Toro y Moi. I just like editing to trap ass shit because of the energy and juxtaposition. That's expecially true with Robb Bank$ and Denzel Curry because of the content of the lyrics such as anime and video game references. And I had to use Narcotics simply because of the "this the return of the blackout" reference. I've been fuckin with those dudes heavy goin on a few years now. And speaking of anime, the scene was from Shigurui: Death Frenzy, that scene was of the protaganist defeating another protaganist of whom is a delusional old man who was known as the greatest swordsman of the time. Dude has six fingers and is bat shit crazy all but like a few days during the year where then he's just a terrifying sociopath for that short time. Amazing series, and brutal as fuck. And thanks for noticing all the small stuff, I like to be unconventional when I make things, I dont like normal.

was this video inspired by ghetto twitter

what is 'ghetto twitter'

"You're editing is superb man, really quality work here"

Let's be real here. His VFX are superb, his editing is terrible.

No Fatal, honestly I enjoyed both aspects.  At least from technical and creative standpoints, I felt that the editing was strong.

Are you referring to yourself in the third or did I miss something

wow, nice visuals and props for using that chris travis song. maybe a lil bit less song changing next time? but thats just my 5cts. That silver mask in your sig reminds me of the 36 mafia - choices 2 cover, lel

Did Bx edit my comment instead of posting his own lol?

Try and do some audio work next time if you're working in vegas (deleting the game audio and dubbing in gunshots, sound fx, etc), it really helps you to get your flow down if your audio is on point first.  

the flow? the tracks are a mix of hard snares and 808 kick drums. the point is to be snappy and eye catching, hence why there are no fades or blurs which represent a sense of time passing or disorientation respectively. And its like a 5 part, 15min video. You have to keep the audience interested. Also, i dont work with vegas, because vegas is shit tbh. I have a couple gigs of just sound effects but i purposely chose not to use them in this project because the time consumption outweighed my desire for that effect. Instead I chose to just compress it all together instead of side chaining. Also, that's why I chose to leave in parts where the party audio can be heard even though I capture game and party audio separately. There's next to nothing that I do accidentally, carelessly or without concluding how it will be received in the realms of different people. I'm very well in tune with the variation in audience, although it never gets any less abrasive when people try to tell me how I should be creating something regardless of the medium. A lot of the time I'll do things simply to antagonize conventional people because the way they do things is dated and boring to me. I'm a big fan of individuality, progression and generally going against the standard which is a big reason people like basquiat and banksy are two of my favorite artist along with directors like Lars von Trier for filmmaking. I keep saying this but, there aren't rules for art, if you have an eye for it you just do it.

Let me say this -- and I can't stress this enough -- there are no rules when it comes to cinematic art, whether it's writing, editing, or cinematography. Using these techniques correctly will almost ensure that your image will be aesthetically pleasing, because of our human biology, but you do run the risk of creating images that are predictable, common, and quite frankly, boring. I'm sure when you first saw a bird's eye view of a coffee cup you were like, "Whoa, what a unique perspective," but now that every teenage girl on Instagram is flooding our shared creative space with these images you're probably like, "Please stahp." I'm with you. But creativity and ingenuity is all about "copy, transform, combine," right?

NoFilmSchool

i do understand and respect what youre saying though, its just not what I wanted for this video,  thats what I did here and here

LOL I was wondering what the hell happened there.

Yeah I have no idea how that happened.  

--------------------

"No Fatal, honestly I enjoyed both aspects.  At least from technical and creative standpoints, I felt that the editing was strong."

Yeah, blur studios did an incredible job recreating the cut scenes. Their work is a big inspiration to me when it comes to 3D work so I thought it was fitting to include a bit of it, originally I was going to do a 3 part storyboard centered around that but that never really came into fruition. I still have the project file but it was going to be a LOT of time and work lol. But the pixelation on my face is for a completely different reason than privacy, I stream with facecam like every time I play haha. About the music choice though, I listen to a lot of different music, I've actually been listen to a lot of like Chet Faker, Seekae, Snakadactyl, Saint Pepsi, Ta Ku and dude from my hometown Toro y Moi. I just like editing to trap ass shit because of the energy and juxtaposition. That's expecially true with Robb Bank$ and Denzel Curry because of the content of the lyrics such as anime and video game references. And I had to use Narcotics simply because of the "this the return of the blackout" reference. I've been fuckin with those dudes heavy goin on a few years now. And speaking of anime, the scene was from Shigurui: Death Frenzy, that scene was of the protaganist defeating another protaganist of whom is a delusional old man who was known as the greatest swordsman of the time. Dude has six fingers and is bat shit crazy all but like a few days during the year where then he's just a terrifying sociopath for that short time. Amazing series, and brutal as fuck. And thanks for noticing all the small stuff, I like to be unconventional when I make things, I dont like normal.

Interesting.  Thank you for all of the explanation.  I did forget to mention that I do actually enjoy Denzel Curry's work, so I was glad you use one of his songs for that reference.  

It's really annoying that you post stuff like "there are no rules in cinematic art" and things of that nature. It would be fine if you weren't calling out Fatal and others after they don't say something positive about your video. You are essentially calling people out for the one thing you are "trying" to believe in.

As for the edit, it's complete crap again. The visuals are sometimes great but it's extremely awkward watching the video unfold when it has no direction or flow for that matter. I can't even make it four-five minutes into the video without getting bored and I have no problem watching full length gaming videos these days. 

I wish you would spend some time looking up how to cut or even watching your own playback and realizing that everything is incredibly awkward and seems out of place.

Gameplay was whatever for the parts I watched, nothing really special.

You are capable of producing some great visuals, but it's essentially pointless when you have no idea how to cut. Watch some videos and research good film editors.

the flow? the tracks are a mix of hard snares and 808 kick drums. the point is to be snappy and eye catching, hence why there are no fades or blurs which represent a sense of time passing or disorientation respectively. And its like a 5 part, 15min video. You have to keep the audience interested. Also, i dont work with vegas, because vegas is shit tbh. I have a couple gigs of just sound effects but i purposely chose not to use them in this project because the time consumption outweighed my desire for that effect. Instead I chose to just compress it all together instead of side chaining. Also, that's why I chose to leave in parts where the party audio can be heard even though I capture game and party audio separately. There's next to nothing that I do accidentally, carelessly or without concluding how it will be received in the realms of different people. I'm very well in tune with the variation in audience, although it never gets any less abrasive when people try to tell me how I should be creating something regardless of the medium. A lot of the time I'll do things simply to antagonize conventional people because the way they do things is dated and boring to me. I'm a big fan of individuality, progression and generally going against the standard which is a big reason people like basquiat and banksy are two of my favorite artist along with directors like Lars von Trier for filmmaking. I keep saying this but, there aren't rules for art, if you have an eye for it you just do it.

Let me say this -- and I can't stress this enough -- there are no rules when it comes to cinematic art, whether it's writing, editing, or cinematography. Using these techniques correctly will almost ensure that your image will be aesthetically pleasing, because of our human biology, but you do run the risk of creating images that are predictable, common, and quite frankly, boring. I'm sure when you first saw a bird's eye view of a coffee cup you were like, "Whoa, what a unique perspective," but now that every teenage girl on Instagram is flooding our shared creative space with these images you're probably like, "Please stahp." I'm with you. But creativity and ingenuity is all about "copy, transform, combine," right?

NoFilmSchool

I understand where you're coming from but I still felt like it didn't really flow too well in terms of how the actual clips lined up with your chosen songs.  I'm not trying to tell you how to do stuff, I'm just trying to say that if you're gonna be creative at least get your foundation solid first.  When you take away all of your effects, how does the edited footage look on the timeline before you go to post-production?  You gotta make sure there isn't something wrong with your canvas before you start painting on it.

yeah and i mean antagonist but for some reason I cant edit my own posts soo

NoFilmSchool

I understand where you're coming from but I still felt like it didn't really flow too well in terms of how the actual clips lined up with your chosen songs.  I'm not trying to tell you how to do stuff, I'm just trying to say that if you're gonna be creative at least get your foundation solid first.  When you take away all of your effects, how does the edited footage look on the timeline before you go to post-production?  You gotta make sure there isn't something wrong with your canvas before you start painting on it.

Yeah I understand what youre saying its cool. I might put this current one out tonight just because its more adhearing to the music

Fuck yeah! You already know I loved this.

Idk why you guys keep coming to his videos to hate on his editing. You should already know how he edits, and what music he uses. Without people doing different things then the montage scene would be even more stagnant than it already is.

Idk why you guys keep coming to his videos to hate on his editing. You should already know how he edits, and what music he uses. Without people doing different things then the montage scene would be even more stagnant than it already is.

Exactly--I was just coming here to tell him not to listen to all this shit. The editing is damn good--I'm ALWAYS excited to s ee a Bl4ckout on the top of the fourm. It's fucking impressive every time. He shows us what we need to see in the clip, but in his own way, and even the quick random shots are easy to pick up on and understand. Hell, some of it was even funny!

Only negative I have for this video is showing the free-cam mod-outs for Lockout and Midship--that got repetitive quick. That, and weirdly stopping it out of nowhere--I thought the download broke or somethin'!

Maybe because he posts his videos on a forum where the entire point is to respond in the thread?

Lol...the montage scene has been going on for a long time (and even more so outside of Halo) and I've never heard people say "I wish we had more awkwardly edited videos, montaging is getting stagnant without it"

Because you're just a cynical asshole... plenty of people talk about how dead the montage scene is. It's not about making videos for other people, it's about making videos for yourself to enjoy and to SHARE. You come in here whole heartedly ready to bash him. Instead of talking shit you can just, not say anything. I know it's the internet and all. But trust me it's possible. You know you're not going to like the way he edits, but yet here you are... EVERY FUCKING TIME.

@Ging: I do agree with you, however people are allowed to say whatever they want about a video; good, bad, or indifferent.  If a member feels obligated to only post their negative thoughts on a montage then so be it.  Any feedback is good feedback in such a small community like ours.

@Wanay: Yes I have personably said almost that exact sentence on multiple occasions.  Lol

Because you're just a cynical asshole... plenty of people talk about how dead the montage scene is. It's not about making videos for other people, it's about making videos for yourself to enjoy and to SHARE. You come in here whole heartedly ready to bash him. Instead of talking shit you can just, not say anything. I know it's the internet and all. But trust me it's possible. You know you're not going to like the way he edits, but yet here you are... EVERY FUCKING TIME.

This is not the case at all.

If Blackout could get his edits down and was able to produce videos that flow well together, I would like nothing more than to leave a positive comment on his video. It just so happens that I haven't liked most of his edits.

There are plenty of people over the past 10 years that I haven't enjoyed or been fond of, but did that mean I automatically left a bad comment on their videos? Hell no.

He is posting his videos to SHARE and that means I can SHARE my opinion.

One of the reasons I come off as a asshole in this thread is because he is telling people they are "wrong" for giving their opinion on the video. Fatal and Fuster gave perfect examples of why they didn't like his videos (or parts of it), yet he comes back and responds with reasons why they are wrong.

I don't think we're the salty ones here lmao. I'm actually dumbfounded at how you guys are calling the editing "damn good", "strong", or "impressive." Flow is non-existent, no effort to sync anything, overused glitch effects and screen flicker, and various effects throughout that are clearly just there for eye-candy and add nothing to the overall video. The out-of-map angles were also repetitive as fuck, just like everything else. Blackout's videos are essentially the modern art of the montage scene and I really don't understand what people see in his videos.

Also, I don't see why you're all losing your shit over people leaving their thoughts/criticism about the video in a discussion thread. That's literally the fucking point of a discussion thread. 

How am I 'losing my shit'? You're trying to antagonize me but you're bad at it, then you get mad at other people for enjoying it and thus end up salty as ron jeremys balls

I'm of the opinion that when it comes to montages being "art" that it should follow the parameters of Architecture: Art with functionality. In both mediums, there are concepts and design structures that promote and guarantee a necessary functionality (in montaging's case, it's to show gameplay and enhance the experience of viewing that gameplay)... and there are those that do not. Without them, the building collapses and so does the montage. This video is an utter failure from that standpoint. The gameplay was mostly terrible (not subjective, just a comparison with what the community standards are across clips tiers) and the editing did nothing to provide any sort of working structure or foundation for the gameplay to stand on. As a "Halo Montage", in my opinion, this shouldn't be considered anything other than garbage. 

Viewing this without seeing structure as a necessity, i still don't buy into it the way some people are. You are continually lauded as being original: I don't disagree with that based on the first couple videos you released in the early days of MCC. It wasn't my cup of tea and i hated the shit out of those videos as well, but i could at least appreciate the desire to create something different and i'll always respect some one who truly just wants to do their own thing with montage making (even if i think the video is garbage). However, instead of continuing to branch out you've just decided to recycle the exact same effects and the exact same style and literally worn it out to the point where i don't feel your videos have any sort of quality that differentiates them from one another. They all look exactly the same, minus some of the visuals which vary but ultimately serve the exact same purpose: To just be there to be different. If original is all you have to be the selling-point of a video then i guess you have to lean on that leg until it gives out, but the problem with your style is that it isn't original at all, you just do what literally every trap-music-video does except you use halo clips. I don't understand how that makes you original, i don't understand how that makes you edgy and i don't understand how that makes you any of the things people claim you are, but that's just my opinion. 

Visually, insane video no doubt. I said it before in one of your videos: From a pure technical standpoint there is some really, really cool stuff in here. I just don't understand why you're using actual gameplay at this point and why you haven't transferred over to making music videos or complete cinematic videos or other videos with real footage. You obviously are doing the whole trap thing just as good or better than most of the budget videos i see on YT and it's obvious you have a clear interest in using shit that isn't halo, so why bother limiting your "art" to a genre that is ultimately conceptually too narrow for your vision?

Art ultimately is subjective, but that doesn't mean there aren't reliable criteria's to accurately assess some one's work. It's an industry, it's a major in college, it's a reality. Stop hiding behind that rhetoric, because if you truly didn't care what we thought then you wouldn't be using halo clips and you wouldn't be saying the shit you are in this thread. Like any art style, there are varying degrees of success and reception. Impressionism, as an example, has degrees of quality and as a result you can certainly say that one impressionist work achieves the concepts of the style better or worse than another- that's why we talk about Monet and Cezanne and Degas etc and not randy joe johnson from 5th street. Since you're literally the only person making videos with this style then it's hard to guage what is truly good and bad within the style, but there's not a doubt in my mind that if good editors just all lost their minds and decided to go full trap in their edits that it would dwarf what we've seen here. If that happens, then you've lost literally the only thing that makes your videos appealing and it's the fact that you're the only one making what i would describe as extreme-trapism in halo montages (maybe they will teach this in art classes in 2065). Being different for different's sake shouldn't automatically give something merit, sorry boys.

I don't like to come down on you because like i said above, i'll always respect some one with the balls to stand on their own two feet and stick to their guns in the montage world. Keep doing you cause that's all you can do. 

How am I 'losing my shit'? You're trying to antagonize me but you're bad at it, then you get mad at other people for enjoying it and thus end up salty as ron jeremys balls

My nigga, learn to take criticism, positive and negative.  It's not like you made a perfect montage or something.

"antagonize"

Get the fuck out

i really dont think anyone understands the depths of my apathy.

like, if you like it cool. if you dont, cool. just dont bitch and tell me what or how to do anything. i dont post for approval, i post because i made it. criticism is saying what you dont like about something, not trying to tell someone how they should be doing it. the fact is that people dont understand the difference and its annoying then bitch again when i say i dont care that theyre bitching.