INGENUITY :: A Halo 3 Montage

Gameplay: Trevx64 and Behr
Editing: Trevx64

Please share and comment if you enjoyed!

TheHaloForum’s montage contest brought us back for another go at Halo 3. With all of the experience from my previous montages behind me, Behr and I were able to get to even more difficult spots and push the game to its absolute limits (no such thing). Both buying functioning Xbox 360s allowed us to go for clips that were otherwise much harder and implausible on Xbox One. We’ve focused on many “impossible online” spots. Countless hours were spent in forge practicing/finding jumps and spots to have a chance at doing them online. We worked hard since January seemingly nonstop. Our main focus in this montage was variety. We went for clips using the coolest and most interesting methods which were often necessary to get to the spot. We hope you will learn something, enjoy!

Special thanks to: Holyaxel, Dill, Saby, Outlaw, Hambxne, Shele, Noremac, Infisibility, HiddenReach, Veto, Shaunburrs, LuckyDutch, TheIncome Taxes, Hashbrown and Ruckus, Paco, Wafflebrains, Shifty, Kampy

This was absolutely fucking fantastic. So many clips blew me away. I honestly don't understand how people like you find this shit lmao.
wtf
I have no idea how you guys think of this stuff.  The double power drain launch to get to that rock on Avalanche, like wtf?  And that trick where your teammates and opponents see your body stuck in a corner but you are really running around (or in the back of a mongoose)?  That's insane.  Truly amazing video,
What the shit was that last clip, desyncing? Very creative trick jumps, enjoyed the vid very much! Cool angles too. My only nitpick is that the Foo Fighters song sounded like it wanted syncing but it didn't get the treatment.

What the shit was that last clip, desyncing? Very creative trick jumps, enjoyed the vid very much! Cool angles too. My only nitpick is that the Foo Fighters song sounded like it wanted syncing but it didn't get the treatment.

It's a game-breaking glitch where you can hover a vehicle over an edge and with another controller you can keep shooting the goose until it glitches down on the glitcher's screen, but on everyone else's screen you will still be either on the edge. Then you can push the fake goose across the map and you are invisible and invincible to anyone near you but you can still throw grenades as long as there is nothing solid in between where the actual mongoose is on everyone else's  screen and where the mongoose is on my screen. However people can shoot the actual mongoose and I will take damage and teleport back to that location on my screen which is what makes it really tedious.  In the ideal world you would hover over an edge that has great view of the entire map but nobody ever looks to kill.

Not the biggest fan of editing but I tried to show the clips as clearly as I could and didn't worry too much about syncing. Editors always shut me down so I usually just end up editing on my own. Plus the file sizes are huge to transfer to someone else since MCC doesnt have a proper theater. Thanks for watching everyone! We worked really hard on this!

I won't be playing Halo for a while. I'm really burnt out from playing so much and I have to focus on college now. You can expect another project from me someday though.

Hmm, needs JTAG. 7/10

Holy shit, I do not have time to watch this right now. I'll give my thoughts tomorrow, so that I'll have something to look forward to.

Will update tomorrow morning right from the gecko

Odd song selection goes from overplayed Foo fighters to U2?

The montage was entertaining but you were modding which kind of turns things off.

The montage was entertaining but you were modding which kind of turns things off
Modding? On what basis?
I think he was making a reference to that other montage where the guy was cheating... at least that's what I did.

Odd song selection goes from overplayed Foo fighters to U2?

The montage was entertaining but you were modding which kind of turns things off.

No external hardware was used in the making of this so I am not sure what you are referring to. If you want I can send you the full clip recording for any clip on Xbox One and 360 clips I can send you the full game with the clip in it.  Falling off the map and stuff was a glitch where you are still at the top of the map on the drivers screen but for everyone else you are at the bottom of the map (standoff clip). Blackout teleport, narrows levitation, and avalanche teleport are all different uses of a similar concept. Avalanche stick was a breakthrough because unlike shooting (the standoff clip) throwing grenades can come from the fake goose if there is nothing solid in between the faked goose and the real goose. On the standoff clip for example when I shoot the laser at the wall at the bottom of the map, the laser comes up from the back of the goose on top of the cliff. However, nobody besides the driver and the host of the game (none on MCC matchmaking) can actually see that laser come out. We got that clip by charging the laser and Behr (the driver for that clip) would keep telling me where to move the laser (left/right/down/up) so that I could get it in an area where I could laser someone.

And just as a side note, I would appreciate it if you guys left Crown and Geo out of this. We worked really hard on this video and I don't really want to see that drama circling it. I already have random people asking about that and I dont really feel like explaining it and directing them to their video so they can get more exposure and attention like they wanted. They spent nowhere near the amount of time Behr and I spent on this. They barely ever played and had the montage out done and edited in less than 2 months, used JTAG to delete all the barriers and set up lobbys so they could do the spots without anyone in the game and then invite people from their hackforums threads promising EXP after, etc. I know most of you might be kidding, but I feel disrespected if you even compare my montages to that. They were threatening me because I exposed them. They had my address, family information, old passwords, phone number, etc. I do not want to deal with that again if you wouldn't mind. I literally spent hundreds of hours practicing spots in forge so that I could be able to do so many legit online. I'm not complaining as I really enjoyed doing this, I'm just giving you guys an idea of how difficult some of these spots are.

Posting this before watching.. Behr as in.. La La Behr?

Is he the same Behr as the one who used to make screenshots? I used to be a semi-famous 'name screenshot' maker during H3. I remember Behr and some other German sounding name guy had modded boxes to make these insanely sick shots. Think his tag was De Behr or something.

Oh my god this was crazy! I think I actually spotted me at one point?!? On a Standoff clip with the tag 'Ash', as I used to run on either 'Ash' or 'A97'. I used to play with La La Behr all the time back on 360 Halo 3, and he's actually got a few assists in TT2 and the original one.

Fucking props to you though guys, some awesome clips, reminded me of 'Enjoy' and 'One for the Books' some of my inspirations very much so (In fact, even Salaya), but without all the editing jazz apart from the intro. Can't really pick a favourite clip or moment as most of them are pretty awesome and brings back nostalgia. You've inspired me to get off my short week break away from my edit so good job that rarely happens! Props guys, good luck in the contest!

"Semi-Famous" ;) I'm the dude who's still on Halo 3 Bungie Favourites!! Hahaha, I had 5 Bungie Favourites in ODST and Halo 3. It's not the same La La Behr though - he knows TheIncomeTaxes (Jake) though and I know them through Reggae Panda (Dan) through a group on Bungie.Net called Freedom Ops, which is also where GameChallenged (Ken) met me and a few others and gradually transferred on to this site.

EDIT: At least I don't think it's the same Behr? He might have fooled me!

Yes, it's La La Behr. Sorry for any confusion lol

Say Ash161 says Hi to him for me! If he doesn't remember...

Yeah it's me lol. Good hearing from you again.
No, but I get that a lot. I had De Behr added for some time during the 360 days.
Shit was absolute crazy, fellas! Great job on pulling the clips and putting this together! 
This is insane. JoeyClutch's M1 brought us back to a time we missed and won't be able to see anymore, but this is the Halo that can always thrive - people finding out insane shit that you never thought possible. The inventiveness, the creativity, the INGENUITY :: A Halo 3 Montage and the thought processes that go into these jumps, tricks, hiding spots, etc. is incredible enough, but to have the execution to go with it is absolutely wonderful. I like that even though a lot of the clips are of similar ilk, there's enough variety and enough different stories to make it interesting so that it doesn't feel like a 12 minute montage. Fuck, I almost forgot but I loved this as soon as I saw that orca. I don't have a list of favourite clips because all of them are beyond my skill and almost passed my comprehension (I could barely get gold one to gold two on Guardian) so all of it's astonishing. I will mention the floating in the air on Longshore and I loved the live reaction clip (I kind of wish there was more of that with kids on the other team being completely lost. Again, this insane. Definitely in my top 3 for the comp

"Semi-Famous" ;) I'm the dude who's still on Halo 3 Bungie Favourites!! Hahaha, I had 5 Bungie Favourites in ODST and Halo 3.

Haha I just took a look at the bungie favs. You're Ash161? Crazy, tons of sick ones + millions of DLs. My most famous picture was the 'special olympics' one with all the weaponless dinos running around lol. Fun fact: I originally named it something less offensive, and a couple months later I saw it in someones fileshare with the special olympics title and it had 500k DLs.

I was more into just the name screenshots on blackout though. Used to work on those 24/7 with Frownzy and Delirium.

fuck yeah! awesome montage!
Absolutely stunning, fuck crowny and geo for attempting to replicate truly innovative work that keeps on defying expectations
Hi! Lol.

Ash161 is indeed me! Haha. Oh wow, I think I remember which one you mean actually?

Man, I was shaking my head the entire time--even though even I admit a few of those jumps were impressive. Emphasis on few. I hate hiding videos...I'm so glad I've never had to deal with this in my Halo 'career';if I ever got matched up with you guys, I would've hooked up my Xbox to a generator, and spammed the report button on your gamercards--WHILE driving to Redmond or Seattle or wherever the Xbox Live people sit on their ass and personally have you banned.  I can't believe you used all these exploits(not to mention all the time that must've been wasted) to do something like that.

Redwall may have been incorrect, but looking at the posts and the full video, he immediately raises a point: Poison, whether poured into a paper cup or a crystal glass, is still poison. What I mean by that is: You may not have used modding software or hardware, or standbying/host bridging, but it's still cheating regardless. Just in another form.

You used various methods to escape the boundaries of multiple maps, traveled or relocated to areas no one else can reach, and used long ranged weapons to kill people from a safe distance where no one could find and/or kill you.

And, you somehow found a way to fool people into thinking you were one place, but really somewhere else entirely, and used that "ghost" to an advantage to kill people! I'm willing to bet that would fall under "Network Manipulation" in whatever Code of Conduct they'd have up there.

I know I'm practically starting a (one-sided) forum war, but the only Ingenuity I see here is engineering a new breed of cheating.

Are you serious? 

<p>Man, I was shaking my head the entire time--even though even I admit a few of those jumps were impressive. Emphasis on <em>few</em>. I hate hiding videos...I'm so glad I've never had to deal with this in my Halo 'career';if I ever got matched up with you guys, I would've hooked up my Xbox to a generator, and spammed the report button on your gamercards--<em><strong>WHILE </strong></em>driving to Redmond or Seattle or wherever the Xbox Live people sit on their ass and personally have you banned.&nbsp; I can't <em>believe</em> you used all these exploits(not to mention all the time that must've been wasted) to do something like that.</p>

<p>Redwall may have been incorrect, but looking at the posts and the full video, he immediately raises a point: Poison, whether poured into a paper cup or a crystal glass, is still poison. What I mean by that is: You may not have used modding software or hardware, or standbying/host bridging, but it's still cheating regardless. Just in another form.</p>

<p>You used various methods to escape the boundaries of multiple maps, traveled or relocated to areas no one else can reach, and used long ranged weapons to kill people from a safe distance where no one could find and/or kill <em>you</em>.</p>

<p>And, you somehow found a way to fool people into thinking you were one place, but really somewhere else entirely, and used that "ghost" to an advantage to kill people! I'm willing to bet that would fall under "Network Manipulation" in whatever Code of Conduct they'd have up there.</p>

<p>I know I'm practically starting a (one-sided) forum war, but the only Ingenuity I see here is engineering a new breed of cheating.</p>

I would say more than a few of these take a lot of practice and if you can prove to me otherwise than please do so. I literally spent hundreds of hours practicing these spots and jumps, however some of the "ghosting" clips dont take as much practice. If you saw how much time I spend in forge trying/finding/practicing things I think you would have more appreciation for this. The fact of the matter is, the only people I'm cheating are my teammates. The amount of failed attempts put into these spots getting everything setup to get to them is absurd. If these spots are as unskillful and easy as you suggest than you would see other people doing them which you don't for the most part. They are in no way helping us win games, if we wanted to win we could easily in most cases, without hiding I mean. We do this because it is different and entertaining. The bloating glitches are like jumping into a lion exhibit blind and expecting to take down the lion (RIP harambe). So I would have respected your opinions but you basically said what we did in this montage for the most part was easy, and that is wildly disrespectful towards the two of us. The clips were in social/unranked/uncompetitive playlists (social slayer, team slayer, BTB, multiteam) so I really dont see what the problem is lol. The spots that are cheap are the easy ones that dont break the maps but you can do to hide from other people without any skill. (from an anti-HLG perspective) What you don't see when I'm doing these spots are the crazy amounts of guardian kill zones, death barriers, and actual barriers that we need to evade perfectly to survive. Also the understanding that if any one part of these out of map spots goes wrong (failed duplication, miss a jump, guardians kill you, etc) than the entire chance is missed and all that practice goes down the drain. The practice just makes these spots possible, it doesn't make them easy. Sorry to be so defensive but thousands of hours of work into a nearly 10 year old game upsets me when someone shuts it down regardless of the amount of positive feedback (which I truly do appreciate) this video gets. 

Exploiting a glitch is not cheating. That's what made H2 so fun. If it was a problem, they should fix there game.

Exploiting a glitch is not cheating. That's what made H2 so fun. If it was a problem, they should fix their game.

Saw that coming.

http://www.halopedia.org/Button_combo#Introduction

Also found a blanket statement from the old archives:

http://halo.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?cid=6341

And oh! What's this?!?

I love documentation like this that tears your shit apart by using your exact words against you. XD

"Don’t cheat or tamper. For example, don't:"

• Use unauthorized hardware or software
  • Exploit game vulnerabilities or glitches
  • Make unauthorized modifications to your account profile or its contents (e.g., tenure, Avatar, game saves, Gamerscore, achievements)
  • Intentionally play with someone who is using unauthorized software or methods

Bungie themselves said that just because they couldn't go back and remove those glitches from the game (their first in Xbox Live, by the way) didn't excuse players from using--wait, exploiting them, and they still suspended accounts who use(d) them.  Now, 343i doesn't give a shit of course, and you probably won't be banned for it, but there's no denying that it still technically is cheating. 

Hey, that's great!

However, I'm afraid you've missed the general point.

It doesn't matter if you spent decades or milliseconds practicing, failing, trying, whatever.

Can you kill them? YES.

Can they kill you?  NO.

Are you supposed to be in those places? NO.

If Bungie saw this, would they approve? Give you three guesses.

That's it. Black and white.

I can understand someone being defensive over something they worked hard for. But that's the problem--you worked hard to do wrong. It doesn't matter how old the game is or what playlist you're in or the failure-to-success ratio. The second you pulled that trigger and used a hiding spot at the expense of another human being, the line was crossed.

Now, I noticed a player with an HLG gamertag in there--if this was a hiding video, this would've been totally different. Hiding actually isn't cheating. It's a bitch move in my opinion, but it's still legit.  But again, killing players from outside the map and through other exploits like this, is cheating, whether you like it or not. I can't ban you, and 343i is far too incompetent to handle discipline, but I sure can call it like it is.

Hey, that's great!

However, I'm afraid you've missed the general point.

It doesn't matter if you spent decades or milliseconds practicing, failing, trying, whatever.

Can you kill them? YES.

Can they kill you?  NO.

Are you supposed to be in those places? NO.

If Bungie saw this, would they approve? Give you three guesses.

That's it. Black and white.

I can understand someone being defensive over something they worked hard for. But that's the problem--you worked hard to do wrong. It doesn't matter how old the game is or what playlist you're in or the failure-to-success ratio. The second you pulled that trigger and used a hiding spot at the expense of another human being, the line was crossed.

Now, I noticed a player with an HLG gamertag in there--if this was a hiding video, this would've been totally different. Hiding actually isn't cheating. It's a bitch move in my opinion, but it's still legit.  But again, killing players from outside the map and through other exploits like this, is cheating, whether you like it or not. I can't ban you, and 343i is far too incompetent to handle discipline, but I sure can call it like it is.

They can and they do kill us when we were in these spots?? I think you need to take a step back and see the big picture. We are doing these tricks for fun and the success rate of pulling them off is nowhere near abusive. The only time I could see them but they couldnt see me was the last clip, but I was still very much vulnerable on the cliff where I started. I cant shoot them on that clip I can only throw grenades, which is why I needed a stick. Even that is very tedious and you need to use two controllers for it to even work. I do this kind of thing to change the way people look at the game. I've actually been recognized by a decent amount of 343i members (Bravo, guy who runs halo channel, unyshek, etc) and honestly I think even Bungie would have appreciated this, regardless of what your link said. Glitching has always been a piece of every games community, I think you need to accept that. Like I said the game is almost 10 years old and I'm not doing it to rank above other people so why does it matter? Just relax man! I really dont see how hiding to win by getting out of the map so other people can kill you is ok but this isnt lol

"The second you pulled that trigger and used a hiding spot at the expense of another human being, the line was crossed."

We're watching videos of a largely dead video game, not murder. Give us a fucking break lmao.